Redo Physics Exam Qs: Find Acceleration & Direction

In summary, the professor is allowing students to redo missed questions on an exam for half-credit due to low averages in his classes. One student is seeking help on finding the acceleration of a physics book on an incline using the equations Fnetx = Fg sin x (theta) - Ffk and Ffk = uk x Fn. The student is on the right track and has calculated Fnetx to be 3.92 N. The correct equation to find acceleration is F = mgsin(theta) - uk*mgcos(theta). The mass cancels out, making the equation simple and neat. The student is grateful for the help.
charitysmama
Our professor is letting us redo the questions we missed on our exam for half-credit because the averages for his classes were 50, 60, and 70. I have a couple of q's I am needing help with, please.

What is the acceleration of a 1.8 kg physics book sliding down a 36 degree incline if the coefficient of kinetic friction, uk = 0.452?

What I have so far is Fnetx = Fg sin x (theta) - Ffk. But since Ffk is = uk x Fn, how do I find Fn? Would it be equal to Fg x cos (theta)?

Am I headed in the right direction at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
charitysmama said:
What I have so far is Fnetx = Fg sin x (theta) - Ffk. But since Ffk is = uk x Fn, how do I find Fn? Would it be equal to Fg x cos (theta)?

Am I headed in the right direction at all?

Right. You are almost there.

Okay... so I got Fnetx = 3.92 N. would Fnety = 0? How would I find acceleration from that? Completely lost after this. Thanks much.

I don't know how you could be, after writing down the correct eqn...

If total F is along the plane downward, then
F = component of gravity along plane - frictional force
= mgsin(theta) - uk*mgcos(theta).

That is how i got the 3.92 N. So that is all?

charitysmama said:
That is how i got the 3.92 N. So that is all?

Why, would you have liked it to be very difficult?

The mass will cancel out, so write the eqn in symbols like I have done. That'll make it even easier and neater.

Cheers.

I just knew there had to be something else to finding the acceleration is all. Thanks much for the help.

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do you find the direction of acceleration?

The direction of acceleration can be determined by looking at the change in velocity. If the change in velocity is positive, the acceleration is in the same direction as the initial velocity. If the change in velocity is negative, the acceleration is in the opposite direction.

3. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

4. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it is often measured in feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

5. How is acceleration related to force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to force, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.