Forces unified at the time of the big bang

In summary, the following relationships were found: - The Planck Mass is equal to the Planck Length- The Planck Time is equal to the Planck Frequency- The Electric Constant is equal to the magnetic constant
nuby
I noticed the following relationships, and I'm curious if these are why physicists believed all forces might have been equal (or unified) during the big bang.

Pm = Plank Mass
Pl = Planck Length
Pt = Planck Time
Pf = Planck frequency (non-angular) = 2.952104e42 Hz
Eo = Electric Constant
Uo = Magnetic Constant

Force of gravity between two Planck masses one Planck length away:
F = G * (Pm * Pm) / (Pl * Pl) = 1.210259e44 N (Planck force)

Electrostatic force between two Planck charges one Planck length away:
F = (1/(4*pi*Eo)) * (Qp^2/Pl^2) = 1.21025e44 N (Planck force)

Magnetic force between two Planck scale magnetic poles:
F = (Uo/(4*pi)) * ( [(2*pi*Pf*Qp)*Pl)]^2 / (Pl^2)) = 1.21025e44 N (Planck force)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it is just numerological ... And I was looking for someone else's opinion. Please PM me if you have anything else to say.

This isn't about "opinions". Science is about facts. You don't get to have an opinion that this isn't just algebraic rearrangements. That's exactly what's happening here, just like the last two times you did this.

Oh, and if you think I shouldn't be posting on this thread, feel free to report this message to the mods.

V50,
In other words.. You are wrong! Science is about facts, but guess what usually comes before the facts? Opinions and theory! This can still be science!

You think the above is "JUST" algebraic rearrangements... It does involve algebraic rearrangements, true ... But it doesn't matter! The units are right, the formulas are right, and it might even make sense from a theoretical point of view! ... So you can't say it is JUST algebraic rearrangements... That is fine if you don't agree, and I got your vote how many times now? 15+? This could probably considered thread hijacking.

nuby said:
V50,
In other words.. You are wrong! Science is about facts, but guess what usually comes before the facts? Opinions and theory! This can still be science! ...

Actually, the type of opinion you are pushing is not allowed on PhysicsForums - at least, not in this area. If you want to push some new ideas, you may consider Independent Research - although there are guidelines there as well.

What this area is reserved for is learning more about physics - both established and emerging trends. Speculative ideas can be posted on your private blog instead of forums.

I think you basic questions were: a) were the fundamental forces unified at one time? b) is there any significance to your mathematical identities?

a) Yes.
b) No. There is no predictive value here, which makes this an "ad hoc" theory (i.e. simply matches already known facts).

By the way, you may be interested in the numerology of the fine structure constant (1/137) - which is a lot more interesting. Seriously.

I believe your questions have been answered.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How were forces unified at the time of the Big Bang?

According to the Big Bang Theory, in the first fractions of a second after the universe began, all four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) were unified into a single force. As the universe expanded and cooled, these forces began to separate and act independently.

3. What evidence supports the idea of forces being unified at the time of the Big Bang?

One piece of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the intense heat of the early universe. This radiation is distributed evenly throughout the universe, indicating a period of rapid expansion, known as inflation, which would have only been possible if all the forces were unified at the time of the Big Bang.

4. How do scientists study forces at the time of the Big Bang?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques, such as particle accelerators and telescopes, to study the behavior of particles and forces in the early universe. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand how the forces may have interacted and evolved during the Big Bang.

5. Could forces be unified again in the future?

While the forces are currently separate and distinct, some theories suggest that under extreme conditions, such as those found in the early universe or in black holes, the forces may become unified again. However, more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the potential for forces to unify in the future.