Forces with just energy levels

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the force exerted on an object based on its final kinetic energy and displacement. It is suggested that if all forces are conservative, the total change in potential and kinetic energy can be used to calculate the average force. However, if there are non-conservative forces present, it is not possible to accurately determine the force. It is also noted that without information about how the force varies with position, only the average force can be calculated.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Hey guys I was wondering something probably very simple.

Would I be able to determine the force something has been applying if I simply know its final kinetic energy and displacement?

And I remember this one equation where something = Integral of F * dx. I swear I am forgetting everything I ever learned :( I was running up the stairs to get to class and i started thinken if there was a way to determine what kinda force i was exerting in order ot get up those stairs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work= force times distance. Assuming all forces are conservative, you could calculate the total change in both potential energy and kinetic energy, set that equal to force times distance and solve for (average) force.

Of course, if there are forces that are not conservative, then there is no way to find the force.

Wait so it would only determine hte average force? I wouldn't think that a leg pushing up someone on stairs is exactly a consistant force.

If you don't have any information at all about how the force varies with position, all you can do is find the average force. There are many ways the force can vary and still produce the same net change in kinetic energy.

1. What are forces with just energy levels?

Forces with just energy levels refer to the interaction between particles or objects that can be described solely in terms of their energy levels. This means that the forces acting between them do not depend on their positions or velocities, but only on their energies.

2. How do forces with just energy levels differ from other types of forces?

Unlike other types of forces, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces, forces with just energy levels do not depend on the distance or orientation between particles. They only depend on the energy levels of the particles involved.

3. What are some examples of forces with just energy levels?

One example is the Van der Waals force, which is a weak attractive force between neutral molecules due to temporary dipoles created by fluctuations in their electron cloud. Another example is the London dispersion force, which is a type of Van der Waals force that exists between all atoms and molecules.

4. How are forces with just energy levels measured or quantified?

Forces with just energy levels are typically measured using spectroscopic techniques, which involve studying the absorption, emission, or scattering of electromagnetic radiation by the particles. This can provide information about the energy levels and interactions between particles.

5. What is the significance of understanding forces with just energy levels?

Understanding forces with just energy levels is important in fields such as chemistry and materials science, as it allows us to predict and control the behavior of molecules and materials. It also provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature and helps us develop new technologies and applications.