Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Forces with universal gravity

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bowling ball (mass = 7.2 kg, radius = 0.10 m) and a billiard ball (mass = 0.48 kg, radius = 0.028 m) may each be treated as uniform spheres. What is the magnitude of the maximum gravitational force that each can exert on the other?
    N

2. Relevant equations

F=G((m1*m2)/r^2)

g being gravitaional constant

3. The attempt at a solution

G((7.2*.48)/(.128))=1.801e-9

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2
    Where is r^2?

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    i have solved it by

((7.2*.48)/(.128*2))*G

the only thing i didnt understand was where the objects relative to each other so i presumed they were touching.

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Take a look at the formula [tex]F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]. [tex]G[/tex] is a constant and so are [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex]. Now we ask ourselves a question : " when will [tex]F[/tex] reach a maximum when [tex]r[/tex] varies?". It's obvious that more [tex]r[/tex] is little more [tex]F[/tex] is greater. So [tex]F[/tex] reaches a maximum when [tex]r[/tex] reaches its minimum. And what is the minimum of [tex]r[/tex]? It's simply the sum of the radius of the 2 balls, as you did. So it will be [tex]0.128\text{ m}[/tex].
    Take care about what you wrote in the denominator of
    , I think you forgot that [tex]r[/tex] was squared and not multiplied by [tex]2[/tex]. Otherwise everything's good.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook