1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces with universal gravity

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bowling ball (mass = 7.2 kg, radius = 0.10 m) and a billiard ball (mass = 0.48 kg, radius = 0.028 m) may each be treated as uniform spheres. What is the magnitude of the maximum gravitational force that each can exert on the other?
    N

2. Relevant equations

F=G((m1*m2)/r^2)

g being gravitaional constant

3. The attempt at a solution

G((7.2*.48)/(.128))=1.801e-9

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2
    Where is r^2?

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    i have solved it by

((7.2*.48)/(.128*2))*G

the only thing i didnt understand was where the objects relative to each other so i presumed they were touching.

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Take a look at the formula [tex]F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]. [tex]G[/tex] is a constant and so are [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex]. Now we ask ourselves a question : " when will [tex]F[/tex] reach a maximum when [tex]r[/tex] varies?". It's obvious that more [tex]r[/tex] is little more [tex]F[/tex] is greater. So [tex]F[/tex] reaches a maximum when [tex]r[/tex] reaches its minimum. And what is the minimum of [tex]r[/tex]? It's simply the sum of the radius of the 2 balls, as you did. So it will be [tex]0.128\text{ m}[/tex].
    Take care about what you wrote in the denominator of
    , I think you forgot that [tex]r[/tex] was squared and not multiplied by [tex]2[/tex]. Otherwise everything's good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?