Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forehead slapper #1

1. Apr 4, 2004 #1
    As a little diversion I thought i'd post this question which I call a forehead-slapper because that's what you'll likely do when you see the answer. You won't need more than high school maths to solve it.

Show that if x and [tex]x^2+8[/tex] are primes then so is [tex]x^3-8[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2
    x = 3?

cookiemonster

4. Apr 5, 2004 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well [itex]x^3 - 8 = (x - 2)(x^2 + 2x + 4) [/itex] meaning that this can only be a prime when [itex]x = 3[/itex].

Edit: I think I have proved the rest of it I'll let others have a go.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  5. Apr 5, 2004 #4
    There's a rest of it?

cookiemonster

6. Apr 5, 2004 #5

Janitor

Science Advisor

Given the Zurtex factorization, it seems pretty obvious that for x=4, 5, 6, ..., x^3-8 has to be composite, so I'm with Cookiemonster.

7. Apr 5, 2004 #6
    Zurtex is exactly right. That was exactly the solution I had in mind. There is another one though I just realized, that doesn't involve having to factor a cubic.

Note that any prime p except 3 is equal to 3k+1 or 3k-1 for some integer k. Then p^2 + 8 = 9k^2 ± 6k + 9, which is divisible by 3. 3^2+8=17, which is prime and also 3^3-8=19 is prime.

8. Apr 5, 2004 #7

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the rest of it was obviously to prove that [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]x^2 + 8[/itex] could never both be prime. My proof was a little bit more complex that as it is early in the morning and I can't think simple maths yet :rolleyes:

9. Apr 5, 2004 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point of cookiemonster's post was that x= 3 is a prime number and that x2[/sup+8= 9+8= 17 is a prime number but x3= 27-8= 21= 3*7 is NOT.

You can't prove your statement: it's not true.

What Zurtex showed with "[itex]x^3 - 8 = (x - 2)(x^2 + 2x + 4) [/itex]" was that x3- 8 cannot be prime unless x= 3. That is essentially a converse of your original statement.

10. Apr 5, 2004 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

27-8 = 19 <filler space>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?