Foreign Computers: Power Supply and Keyboard Differences?

• Thread starter FulhamFan3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential differences between foreign and American hardware, specifically in terms of power supply and keyboard layout. The individual sharing their experience working on a computer in France with a different keyboard layout believes that the hardware is likely the same, but there may be variations in software to accommodate different keyboards and languages. They also mention the use of a voltage transformer for protection during lightning storms. The individual seeking information clarifies that they were wondering if the differences between computers were limited to the operating system or if they extended to the hardware itself.
FulhamFan3
Is foreign hardware different from american hardware or is the only real difference that the power supply is adapted to 220V instead of 110V and the keyboard layout is changed?

When I was in france last time and I was working on a friend's computer and I went into the BIOS it went to US keyboard layout instead of the french one I was using. This was really annoying. Luckily I used to USA keyboard layout enough to guess my way out. This led me to believe that the BIOS and software components are exactly the same and that the hardware should be the same too.

I mainly want to know if I can buy hardware here and use it in computers in europe.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have spent most of my life overseas, and have lived in France for the past few years. I can't say that there is any difference in hardware. Yes, there are variations in software to accommodate the differenct keyboads and languages. Yes, they have 240 ovlts over here.

By the way, many countries do not have strict lightning protection on the power and telephone line. No matter the country, I run my equipment at 115 volts and use a 240/115 volt isolation transformer. I have blown transformers during lightning storms (UK), but no harm to the computers.

If you need any further information, just let me know.

Pfft

thanks for the answer. I just wanted to know if the difference between computers was at the OS level or if it went deeper.

1. What are the main differences in power supply for foreign computers?

The main difference in power supply for foreign computers is the voltage and frequency. Most countries use 220-240 volts at 50 Hz, while the United States and Canada use 110-120 volts at 60 Hz. This means that a power adapter or converter may be necessary to use a foreign computer in a different country.

2. Do foreign computers use different types of power plugs?

Yes, foreign computers often use different types of power plugs compared to the standard plugs used in the United States. Some countries may use Type C, Type E, or Type F plugs, which have two round pins, while others may use Type G plugs, which have three rectangular pins. It is important to check the type of plug used in the country you are visiting and bring a suitable adapter.

3. Can I use a foreign keyboard with my computer?

Yes, it is possible to use a foreign keyboard with your computer. However, the layout and symbols may be different, so it may take some time to get used to. Additionally, some keys may be in different locations, making typing a bit more challenging. It is recommended to bring your own keyboard or use a virtual keyboard on your computer for easier communication.

4. Are there any compatibility issues with foreign keyboards and power supply?

There should not be any compatibility issues between foreign keyboards and power supply. As long as the voltage and frequency are compatible with the computer, there should not be any problems. However, it is always best to check the specifications of the foreign computer before using it with your own power supply and keyboard.

5. Can I change the power supply and keyboard on a foreign computer to make it compatible with my country?

In most cases, it is not recommended to change the power supply and keyboard on a foreign computer to make it compatible with your country. This may void the warranty and cause other compatibility issues. It is best to use a power adapter and bring your own keyboard if needed.