1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foreign langauge requirement

  1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    I am going to a community college for MET and I want to change my major to Physics. I have 16 art credits and they will accept all of them for the associates degree, but they warned me that UMass needs 2 semesters of a foreign language. Is this typical of all four year schools for a physics/engineering (could I just shop around for a different four year school in my area)? Would UMass still accept me as a transfer student, but not accept my art classes and make me take a foreign langauge?

    I'm super confused on this. Until I have a better understanding, it's holding me back from wanting to switch my major to Physics. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Beats me. You can check with someone at UMass about your particular situation.

    Not all colleges have a foreign language requirement. In fact, I think only a few still do. While that may have been different in the past, things have changed over the years, and many colleges dropped that requirement. It is certainly not required for obtaining a bachelor's degree in engineering according to ABET.
  4. Feb 28, 2016 #3
    Thank you. I will attempt to contact all local 4 year schools and find one that doesn't require a foreign langauge.

    In your personal opinion, should I do Physics over MET? My initial plan was to knock out an associates in MET (not a bachelors, that would be a waste of time), then start all over with engineering/physics. I have 16 art credits and 14 MET credits. At precalc level for math.
  5. Feb 28, 2016 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    If you decide to switch to physics, be advised that the math you will be required to take will heavily emphasize calculus and differential equations at a minimum. In order to find decent employment as a physicist, you will probably have to not only do well as a physics undergrad, but you will probably need to study for a post-graduate degree as well, probably a doctorate.
  6. Feb 28, 2016 #5
    Really? You are deciding your major on the basis of a two-semester elective requirement? Maybe you could look at the language requirement as an opportunity instead of a burden?
  7. Feb 28, 2016 #6
    yes, I work full time. I already have scattered credits and I'm from any kind of degree. Thanks for the comment tthough
  8. Feb 28, 2016 #7


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Schools normally put this information on their web sites.
  9. Feb 28, 2016 #8
    It is common to require a year of a foreign language for any four year degree. It is a general education requirement at many universities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads - Foreign langauge requirement Date
Admissions Help Required: Medical Physics Yesterday at 11:06 AM
Schools Stipends (foreign and domestic) for MS degrees Jan 3, 2017
Admissions How does my grade in a foreign language affect grad school? Oct 13, 2016
Admissions What are the chances of getting into an Ivy School from CA Jun 11, 2016
Other How to get contacts with foreign researchers? Apr 7, 2016