1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Foreign language course

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone, I am a mechanical engineering major and I have to decide which course in foreign language to take because is required at my school. I am between chinese and german, but I want to pick one that can help me in my future career.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2
    You can't go wrong with learning mandarin, China is growing rapidly, and i imagine engineers will continue to be needed there at exponential rates. That would open your job possibilities quite i bit i imagine

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    Before you jump into learning Mandarin, you have to recognise the amount of work it takes to become fluent in an asian language. For a native English speaker, it takes around 2400 hours of study to become fluent in an Asian language, compared to 800 hours with a European language.

I studied Japanese for 3 years, and loved it. Am I fluent in it?...well, I did 6 months of French and I probably speak that better now.

If you want to show cultural awareness, and are actually interested in it, by all means do Mandarin. But, if you want a foreign language to use as a business tool with any fluency, I'd choose German.

5. Oct 23, 2008 #4
    Also realize that Mandarin will also have a completely different character set... one that is huge!

My school excuses Engineering students from Foreign Language requirements, but we also need more than the 120 credits standard to graduate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?