Which foreign language course is best for a mechanical engineering major?

In summary: If you are an engineer, Mandarin would be a good choice. If you are not an engineer, and are not interested in engineering, then you might want to choose a different language.In summary, Mandarin is a good choice if you are an engineer, and German is a good choice if you are not an engineer and are not interested in engineering.
jcsolis
Hello everyone, I am a mechanical engineering major and I have to decide which course in foreign language to take because is required at my school. I am between chinese and german, but I want to pick one that can help me in my future career.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
jcsolis said:
Hello everyone, I am a mechanical engineering major and I have to decide which course in foreign language to take because is required at my school. I am between chinese and german, but I want to pick one that can help me in my future career.

Any suggestions?

You can't go wrong with learning mandarin, China is growing rapidly, and i imagine engineers will continue to be needed there at exponential rates. That would open your job possibilities quite i bit i imagine

walksofar said:
You can't go wrong with learning mandarin, China is growing rapidly, and i imagine engineers will continue to be needed there at exponential rates. That would open your job possibilities quite i bit i imagine

Before you jump into learning Mandarin, you have to recognise the amount of work it takes to become fluent in an asian language. For a native English speaker, it takes around 2400 hours of study to become fluent in an Asian language, compared to 800 hours with a European language.

I studied Japanese for 3 years, and loved it. Am I fluent in it?...well, I did 6 months of French and I probably speak that better now.

If you want to show cultural awareness, and are actually interested in it, by all means do Mandarin. But, if you want a foreign language to use as a business tool with any fluency, I'd choose German.

Also realize that Mandarin will also have a completely different character set... one that is huge!

My school excuses Engineering students from Foreign Langauge requirements, but we also need more than the 120 credits standard to graduate.

1. What is the purpose of learning a foreign language?

Learning a foreign language can have many benefits, such as improving cognitive abilities, expanding career opportunities, and enhancing cultural understanding and communication skills.

2. How long does it typically take to become fluent in a foreign language?

The time it takes to become fluent in a foreign language varies for each individual and depends on factors such as the difficulty of the language, the amount of time spent practicing, and the learner's language learning abilities. On average, it can take anywhere from 600-2200 hours of study to become fluent.

3. Is it better to learn a foreign language in a classroom or through immersion?

Both classroom instruction and immersion can be effective ways to learn a foreign language. Classroom instruction provides structured lessons and guidance from a teacher, while immersion allows for real-world practice and immersion in the language and culture. It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and goals.

4. Can adults learn a foreign language as easily as children?

Research has shown that adults and children learn languages differently, but both can become proficient in a foreign language with practice and dedication. While children may have a slight advantage in terms of language acquisition, adults have the advantage of using their existing knowledge and experience to aid in their learning.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning a foreign language?

Learning a foreign language can be challenging, but there are ways to stay motivated. Setting achievable goals, finding a study partner or joining a language learning community, and regularly practicing and using the language can help maintain motivation. Additionally, immersing oneself in the culture and regularly consuming media in the target language can also keep motivation high.