Foreign Language for Returning Student

In summary, as a returning student, learning a foreign language can have numerous benefits such as enhancing cognitive skills, improving memory, and expanding job opportunities. While it may be more challenging than learning as a younger student, it is not impossible. The time it takes to become fluent can vary, but with dedication and the right resources, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. It is important to find a learning method that works best for you, and techniques such as immersion, regular practice, and using various resources can be helpful. Additionally, learning a foreign language as a returning student has been shown to improve brain function and delay age-related cognitive decline.
KestrelYI
All,

I received a BS in Aviation about three years ago. Needless to say, had I known at the time, I would have chosen something a little different. I'll be returning this Fall to pursue a Physics degree with a minor in Mathematics.

During my previously bachelors, I took three years worth of Japanese language courses and spent a calendar year abroad in Japan. Due to my prior bachelors, I have a couple of physics & mathematics courses waived. (Not nearly enough to justify a jump right into a masters, but that's life.) I also have all of my general requirements waived. That leaves me with quite an open schedule and allows me a little flexibility as to what I'd like to take.

I had planned to continue with a foreign language, but have been running into a few issues. I've read plenty of threads here on PF about the subject, but I've reached an impasse of sorts. Although I spent a couple of years working up to an advanced / intermediate skill level as far as Japanese is concerned, a lot of that has faded away over the last couple years. I used to be very decent and had an incredibly natural accent.

To all of you out in industry and graduate school, does it even really matter? I'll admit that the thought of taking French and giving myself a chance to work at the LHC in the distant future is a bit of a fantasy. Unlikely, but I'd regret not giving it my all and seeing just how far I can take this.

Does a foreign language really even matter? I'm floating the idea of taking a 3-4 year regiment of French, but many friends are disheartened that I'm walking away from Japanese after all of these years. I took some French in high school many years ago, but that's mostly floated away at this point. My concern is that French might be more useful overall in comparison to Japanese. Yes, it'll be as useful as you make it... But surely one will provide more utility than the other?

What say ye, PF? Resume my prior studies and continue the difficult march toward fluency with Japanese? Or scrap it altogether and opt for a European language? I'm torn on the subject, and any advice would be appreciated. My schedule has been planned for the next few years, and sadly enough, there isn't room for both of them. Rather than be subpar in two languages , I'd prefer to excel in one of them. I don't think there's any room for triage here.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

First of all, congratulations on pursuing a Physics degree with a minor in Mathematics! It sounds like you have a strong background and have already accomplished a lot in your academic career.

I can say that having knowledge of a foreign language can be very beneficial in the field. It opens up opportunities for collaboration and communication with scientists from other countries, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in research. Additionally, many scientific journals and conferences are international, so being able to communicate in multiple languages can be a valuable asset.

That being said, it ultimately depends on your career goals and what you want to specialize in within the field of Physics. If you are interested in working at the LHC or in a European country, then learning French would definitely be beneficial. However, if you are interested in pursuing research in Japan or with Japanese scientists, then continuing your studies in Japanese would be more useful.

It's also important to consider your personal interests and motivation. If you have a strong passion for Japanese language and culture, then it may be worth continuing your studies in it, even if it may not seem as practical or useful on paper. On the other hand, if you are more interested in French or see more potential for career opportunities with it, then that may be the better choice for you.

In the end, it's important to choose a language that you are truly interested in and motivated to learn. Fluency in any language takes dedication and hard work, so it's important to choose one that you will enjoy learning and using in your career.

Best of luck with your decision and future studies!

1. What is the purpose of learning a foreign language as a returning student?

As a returning student, learning a foreign language can have several benefits. It can enhance your cognitive skills, improve your memory, and expand your job opportunities. It can also help you communicate with a wider range of people and gain a better understanding of different cultures.

2. Is it more difficult to learn a foreign language as a returning student?

While it may be true that learning a foreign language becomes more challenging as we age, it is not impossible. As a returning student, you may have to put in extra effort and practice, but with dedication and the right resources, you can successfully learn a new language.

3. How long does it take to become fluent in a foreign language as a returning student?

The time it takes to become fluent in a foreign language as a returning student can vary depending on several factors such as your dedication, learning methods, and the complexity of the language. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to become fluent in a new language.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for learning a foreign language as a returning student?

As a returning student, it is important to find a learning method that works best for you. Some techniques that can be beneficial include immersing yourself in the language, practicing regularly, and using various resources such as language learning apps, books, and online courses.

5. Can learning a foreign language as a returning student improve brain function?

Yes, learning a foreign language as a returning student has been shown to have positive effects on brain function. It can improve memory, problem-solving skills, and even delay the onset of age-related cognitive decline. It also strengthens brain connections and can enhance overall brain function.