Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foreign Language

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1
    Can you suggest me it is best to learn which foreign language and which will be more useful to me,
    I will like to learn french just only because i am familiar with some of it words and find them impressive.
    What do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2005 #2
    I know: Russian, English, Spanish

I want to learn: Hebrew, Greek, Chinese, & Japanese
  4. Sep 5, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Where do you live or plan on living? What field are you studying?
  5. Sep 5, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  6. Sep 5, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just flows off the tongue, doesn't it?
  7. Sep 5, 2005 #6

Gold Member

Trippingly... :groan:
    I know it's 'on the tongue' but whatever.
  8. Sep 5, 2005 #7
    why does it impress you ?
    suggest you to learn slangs.
    Slangs makes a man more male !
  9. Sep 5, 2005 #8
    suggest you to learn cambodian 2
  10. Sep 5, 2005 #9
    I live on India and want to live in India forever(I love my country! :smile: ) except some coming years at US,I am studying Computer Science and after completion of master's degree from here,would like to do phd in US.
  11. Sep 5, 2005 #10
    Sanskrit. :D
  12. Sep 5, 2005 #11

I already know that. :biggrin:
  13. Sep 5, 2005 #12
    And By the way didn't you see that i was pointing to Foreign languages.!
  14. Sep 5, 2005 #13
    Why learn a language at all? It seems as though you are just learning one for the sake of it, as if it would be really useful you would have already learned it. I personally would spend the time having fun, or learning something else.
  15. Sep 5, 2005 #14
    Well i believe learning a new language will be more fun for me,
    I just want to start with one...
    Basically i want to learn so that i can feel comfortable with peoples of other culture and different nationalities...It's always an advantage i feel as it adds a new prespective!
  16. Sep 5, 2005 #15
    Considering that you already know English is a good start, it gives you an advantage to learning most other languages that use the Graeco-Roman alphabet (the Germanic and the Romance languages) but German will probably be the most convenient one, considering that English was originally derived from the Germanic family (but has lots of strange words originating from everywhere, from Nordic words like "north" to the American amalgamations of "hula-hoop" and "hip-hop.")
  17. Sep 5, 2005 #16
    Yeah learn french, i encourage u..
  18. Sep 5, 2005 #17
    Learn a scandinavian language, then move there. Everywhere else is crap.
  19. Sep 5, 2005 #18

Staff: Mentor

French would be a good third language. I love listening to French being spoken. :approve:
  20. Sep 5, 2005 #19
    Normally I would abuse that to the best of my ability, but I can't seem to remember the french words for "Sybaritic" and "Sensual".
  21. Sep 5, 2005 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have been told that if you learn any of Portuguese, Spanish, or Italian, then you can understand and probably learn to converse in the other two pretty quickly (e.g. at the airport upon arrival).

French is also a "Romantic" language (no pun :smile:) but a little more distant to the ohers.

Also heard that Persian grammar is very similar to French; and I wouldn't be surprised if French is close to Sanskrit, too. They are all Indo-European languages.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?