Learn French: Pros and Cons for You

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the person recommends learning French in order to have a better understanding of other cultures and languages that use the Graeco-Roman alphabet. They also recommend learning a Scandinavian language after learning French.
heman
Can you suggest me it is best to learn which foreign language and which will be more useful to me,
I will like to learn french just only because i am familiar with some of it words and find them impressive.
What do you think?

Science news on Phys.org
I know: Russian, English, Spanish

I want to learn: Hebrew, Greek, Chinese, & Japanese

Where do you live or plan on living? What field are you studying?

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Just flows off the tongue, doesn't it?

hypnagogue said:
Just flows off the tongue, doesn't it?
Trippingly... :groan:
I know it's 'on the tongue' but whatever.

heman said:
Can you suggest me it is best to learn which foreign language and which will be more useful to me,
I will like to learn french just only because i am familiar with some of it words and find them impressive.
What do you think?
why does it impress you ?
suggest you to learn slangs.
Slangs makes a man more male !

Last edited:
suggest you to learn cambodian 2

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Where do you live or plan on living? What field are you studying?

I live on India and want to live in India forever(I love my country! :smile: ) except some coming years at US,I am studying Computer Science and after completion of master's degree from here,would like to do phd in US.

Sanskrit. :D

klusener said:
Sanskrit. :D

I already know that. :biggrin:

And By the way didn't you see that i was pointing to Foreign languages.!

Why learn a language at all? It seems as though you are just learning one for the sake of it, as if it would be really useful you would have already learned it. I personally would spend the time having fun, or learning something else.

mattmns said:
Why learn a language at all? It seems as though you are just learning one for the sake of it, as if it would be really useful you would have already learned it. I personally would spend the time having fun, or learning something else.

Well i believe learning a new language will be more fun for me,
I just want to start with one...
Basically i want to learn so that i can feel comfortable with peoples of other culture and different nationalities...It's always an advantage i feel as it adds a new prespective!

Considering that you already know English is a good start, it gives you an advantage to learning most other languages that use the Graeco-Roman alphabet (the Germanic and the Romance languages) but German will probably be the most convenient one, considering that English was originally derived from the Germanic family (but has lots of strange words originating from everywhere, from Nordic words like "north" to the American amalgamations of "hula-hoop" and "hip-hop.")

Yeah learn french, i encourage u..

Learn a scandinavian language, then move there. Everywhere else is crap.

French would be a good third language. I love listening to French being spoken. :approve:

Evo said:
French would be a good third language. I love listening to French being spoken. :approve:
Normally I would abuse that to the best of my ability, but I can't seem to remember the french words for "Sybaritic" and "Sensual".

I have been told that if you learn any of Portuguese, Spanish, or Italian, then you can understand and probably learn to converse in the other two pretty quickly (e.g. at the airport upon arrival).

French is also a "Romantic" language (no pun :smile:) but a little more distant to the ohers.

Also heard that Persian grammar is very similar to French; and I wouldn't be surprised if French is close to Sanskrit, too. They are all Indo-European languages.

Spanish Italian and French are very similar, portuguese is a little different but still a romantic language. All of them are of course similar to English as well, but French even moreso.

Smurf said:
Spanish Italian and French are very similar, portuguese is a little different but still a romantic language. All of them are of course similar to English as well, but French even moreso.
English has French words but Germanic (Teutonic? Nordic?) grammar.

Consider these word-by-word translations: German "Ich liebe dich" ("I love you") vs. French "Je t'aime" ("I you love").

Interesting tidbit: English and German also take about the same amount of time to say the same thing. I noticed this watching interviews that had been translated into English. With most languages, the interviewee and translator finish speaking at different times, at least a few seconds off. But with German, they end at almost exactly the same time. :smile: (Okay, maybe that's not so interesting to normal people...)

What are the benefits of learning French?

Learning French can open up a variety of opportunities for you, both personally and professionally. It can improve your communication skills, enhance your cultural understanding, and make travel to French-speaking countries easier and more enjoyable.

What are the challenges of learning French?

Like learning any language, there are certain challenges that come with learning French. These may include mastering pronunciation and grammar rules, building vocabulary, and understanding cultural nuances.

Is it worth the time and effort to learn French?

That depends on your individual goals and interests. If you are interested in French culture, literature, or business opportunities, then learning French can definitely be worth the time and effort. It can also be a fun and rewarding experience to learn a new language.

What are some effective ways to learn French?

There are many different approaches to learning French, so it's important to find what works best for you. Some effective methods include immersing yourself in the language through immersion programs or living in a French-speaking country, taking classes or working with a tutor, and using online resources and language learning apps.

How long does it take to learn French?

The amount of time it takes to learn French varies depending on your level of dedication and the intensity of your learning. Generally, it can take anywhere from 600 to 2,200 hours of study to achieve fluency in French.