Foreign languages and physics?

• Thread starter anosh_88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of studying a foreign language while also studying physics in university. The speaker is unsure if learning a language will be distracting and asks for advice on how many hours to study and how often in order to maintain good grades. They also mention not wanting to lose their social life. The conversation also touches on the idea of learning from famous physicists and mathematicians in a foreign language, but the other speaker disagrees and suggests modern texts. The conversation ends with the idea that self-teaching a language may not be effective and it is important to consider the instructional design of language learning in a classroom environment.
anosh_88
I'm currently a junior at university and I'm contemplating whether or not to study a foreign language. I already know 2 other languages besides English (Arabic and Aramaic, the latter my native tongue), but just knowing other languages is enticing. So, I was wondering, would learning a language be distracting to my work in physics at university? How many hours or minutes and how often should one study and still maintain good grades at school? Please share your experience.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I do not want to lose my social life either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be distracting to studying Physics? NO. In fact, you should find any language course you pick to be easier than any of your physics or mathematics courses. IGNORE how many minutes or hours per week you would need to study. The language you study and learn is not nearly as stressful as physics or mathematics. Working hard for your chosen language will no trouble, and you should likely be able to earn an A. Actually, you will need to study nearly everyday; but like said, this is not stressful.

Learn German, think of all the famous German physicists and mathematicians. It's always better to learn from the masters.

anosh_88 said:
I'm currently a junior at university and I'm contemplating whether or not to study a foreign language. I already know 2 other languages besides English (Arabic and Aramaic, the latter my native tongue), but just knowing other languages is enticing. So, I was wondering, would learning a language be distracting to my work in physics at university? How many hours or minutes and how often should one study and still maintain good grades at school? Please share your experience.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I do not want to lose my social life either.
One could probably manage a foreign language, e.g., 4 courses over two years. German, French, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, . . . are possibilities. There is considerable amounts of research and technology in each language.

johnqwertyful said:
Learn German, think of all the famous German physicists and mathematicians. It's always better to learn from the masters.

I disagree. First, its not always best to learn from the pioneers - I would not say "masters". Maxwell, for example, is incomprehensible - even to a native speaker. That's why we use the modern treatment of Oliver Heaviside.

Second, those texts are a century old.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I'm not so sure if I will actually take a foreign language class as I have heard many negative things about language learning in a classroom environment. I've always heard that self-teaching is the best method for language learning.

anosh_88 said:
Thanks for the reply everyone. I'm not so sure if I will actually take a foreign language class as I have heard many negative things about language learning in a classroom environment. I've always heard that self-teaching is the best method for language learning.

Self-teaching a language is not a good method of learning. Maybe some people can learn self-taught, but this is not within the nature of languages.

Learning in a classroom environment may be good, or bad, or mid-quality, DEPENDING on the purpose and instructional design. Decide based on the instructional approach which the instruction for the language is designed.

1. Can learning a foreign language improve my understanding of physics?

Yes, learning a foreign language can improve your understanding of physics. Learning a new language can help develop critical thinking skills, which are essential in understanding complex scientific concepts. Additionally, many scientific papers and research are published in multiple languages, so being able to read and comprehend these publications can provide valuable insights into the study of physics.

2. How can I use my knowledge of physics to learn a foreign language?

Physics and language learning both require a systematic and analytical approach. You can use your knowledge of physics to create a study plan and apply scientific methods to learn a new language. For example, you can break down the language into its component parts, practice regularly, and use repetition to help you remember new words and phrases.

3. Is there a connection between foreign languages and physics?

Yes, there is a connection between foreign languages and physics. Many scientific terms and concepts have their roots in Latin and Greek, which are the foundation of many modern languages. Additionally, understanding a foreign language can help you better understand the cultural and historical context of scientific discoveries and theories.

4. Are there any careers that combine knowledge of foreign languages and physics?

Yes, there are several careers that combine knowledge of foreign languages and physics. These include scientific translation, international scientific research, and working for multinational companies that specialize in technology and engineering. Additionally, knowledge of a foreign language can be a valuable asset in any scientific career, as it can open up opportunities for collaboration and communication with researchers from around the world.

5. Can learning a foreign language help me in my physics studies?

Yes, learning a foreign language can help you in your physics studies. As mentioned earlier, many scientific publications are written in multiple languages, so being able to read and understand these papers can provide valuable insights into your studies. Additionally, learning a foreign language can improve your overall cognitive abilities, which can aid in problem-solving and critical thinking, essential skills in the field of physics.