Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foreigners’ presidential eligibility

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Feb/20040223News017.asp

I think this is a terrible idea - incredibly dangerous!. This is a good way to lose a country... I really can't believe Hatch would support this. I think everyone - including 1st generation [born] US citizens - should write to their representatives and denounce this with extreme bias. I like some of what I hear from California, but given this, please send Arnold back to Hollywood before he hurts himself. I don't think he knows what a can of worms this is. I can gaurantee that this issue runs very deep for many Americans.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    You would be all in favor of it if Arnold was a Liberal.

San Francisco was even trying to allow illegal aliens the right to vote in public school elections. How do you feel about that? What about allowing them the right to drivers licenses?

Frankly, I agree. Arnold should not be allowed to run for President. But don't you worry your head off, the amendment has 0 chance of going anywhere and Arnold, the Republican, won't win the Presidecy.

4. Sep 25, 2004 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Twenty years' citizenship? Make it thirty-five (minimum age for natural born citizen), and it doesn't sound too outrageous. Kissinger? Albright? Scare the livin' daylights outa me. On the other hand, there has never been a qualified individual in the office --- or any other public office --- so, what the hell --- why not?

5. Sep 25, 2004 #4
    Terrible idea. If there is any change at all it should be that a candidates parents should have been born here too.

Hell, make that grandparents.

6. Sep 25, 2004 #5
    Xenophobia is a terrible thing.

7. Sep 25, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But so is Xenon...

8. Sep 25, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, that hardly even deserves a comment. Quit lowering the quality of the discussion with your absurd accusations. These sorts of comment cause me grave doubt about your objectivity. This is also what caused to to blow up at you the last time. You take cheap shots. You can do better.

I oppose all of the above greatly. I think Plato even warns that losing control of the borders is to lose the nation.

I hope you're right. Up until now I found Arnold amusing, but now he's scaring me.

This is not xenophobia. This is a legitimate concern about essential loyalties. One also needs to have a deep understanding of our many cultures and beliefs. This is a very large and complicated nation.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  9. Sep 25, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If one can get elected one can't be a good choice for office. :uhh:

Well, maybe Washington and Linlcoln were okay.

10. Sep 25, 2004 #9
    Fair enough. I retract my earlier statement that you opposed Arnold's presidential candidcy based on his party.

11. Sep 25, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you. I'm really not that shallow. :biggrin:

12. Sep 25, 2004 #11

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Raises a question: who is more loyal to the principles upon which the country was founded; the run of the mill party hack grabbing the money and running, or the immigrant who finally made it to the "promised land?"

13. Sep 25, 2004 #12
    Bystander has a good point. But I think Arnold would have a problem dealing with Austria in an objective manner. While I am reasonably certain he would place the US' interests above that of Austria, I don't think we can always count on that from future candidates.

14. Sep 25, 2004 #13
    Please, enlighten me as to how Arnold is less loyal to the nation than anyone else?
    I for one would not be upset if at an immigrant as Prime Minister of my country simply because he was not born here. If someone has lived in your America for 20 years, 20 freaking years (and made hella money doing it) why is he any less eligible than someone who's parents were born in America.

15. Sep 25, 2004 #14
    I don't think Arnold is less loyal to the US than any other country. But that is because he is a standup guy. Future candidates, however, may not be so Arnish.

Amazing. A few years ago everyone considered Arnold nothing more than a hack actor, and now everyone is arguing over whether or not he should be able to run for President.

16. Sep 26, 2004 #15
    I don't get what the whole fuss is about. Maybe I'm just a fluke and haven't been instilled with the same sense of nationalism/xenophobia the rest of the population has, but I don't see what's so bad about people not born in the USA to be president. If Arnold wants to be president, fine, let him run, it'd be awesome to see something like Arnold Vs. Hillary in the future.

17. Sep 26, 2004 #16
    PLease don't generalize. The majority of people outside the US still think it is some kind of a joke. The introduction of steroids in politics.

18. Sep 26, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought about that. In fact many immigrants here today would almost certainly be better than the choices at hand [Bush Kerry]. The problem is that we have an entirely new dimension of concern - one that supersedes virtually all other modes of corruption. We have much less certainty about person’s true loyalties. I worry that Bush really represents Texas oil money; but at least we are talking about Texas and US corporations; not Chinese or Austrian interests [as random examples]. The chance of insidious and implicit, or even explicit foreign influence at the highest level of the US government is just too dangerous to allow.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  19. Sep 26, 2004 #18
    I refute that statement, I don't believe that.

20. Sep 26, 2004 #19
    aka xenophobia.

If Arnold wanted to help Austria, he'd run for president of Austria. He's not, he's running for President of the US, so unless you think this is part of an elaborate conspiracy about Austria trying to take over the US in revenge for ending the First world war I'm at a loss as to why Arnold shouldn't run for president.

21. Sep 26, 2004 #20
    Fair enough. I would vote for De Niro though, or Al Pacino. And they have better connections too I would guess. Boy, what a good team they would be. And Harrison Ford as the head of the new centralized intelligence. Denzel Washington, isn't he born to become Powell's sucessor? So much unused talent...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?