Forgetting Latin: Surprise Re-Learning Experience

• Thread starter Vorde
  • Start date
In summary: It's not uncommon to forget a language if it is not practiced regularly. This can even happen with languages learned in childhood, as shown in the conversation above. It's also interesting to note that studying a language through a computer program may not be as effective as taking a traditional class. In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of learning a language, particularly Latin, through different methods and the common occurrence of forgetting a language if not practiced regularly. The speaker also mentions the interesting discovery of a notebook from their childhood language studies and the lack of recollection of previously learned material. Additionally, they note the difference between learning through a program like Rosetta Stone versus a traditional class.
Vorde
Hey,

Over the past month or so I've been teaching myself Latin in Rosetta Stone. It's been going steadily, and I hope to have the first level done by the end of the month.

By pure luck, I came across the notebook I kept in 6th grade when I took Latin for a semester (I had forgotten I had done this). What amazed me is that not only did I know Latin better then than I do now, but that when I was learning Latin this past month I had absolutely no recollection of learning it previously, even though the vocabulary I was using then and the vocabulary I am learning now are practically identical.

It's been really freaky seeing passages I wrote when I was 10 and only partially being able to translate them.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Science news on Phys.org
I haven't had the spectacular experience of forgetting I ever studied a language, but I have forgotten most of what I learned. In high school and college I took French, Latin, German, Russian, and Spanish. I got out of college 35 years ago and never reinforced or extended what I'd learned, so most of it has evaporated.

What interested me was that normally when I learn something that I'd learned before I have an 'oh yeah' moment. I had absolutely zero recollection of this.

Vorde said:
What interested me was that normally when I learn something that I'd learned before I have an 'oh yeah' moment. I had absolutely zero recollection of this.

The only explanation is it's not your notebook.

I tried learning Chinese on Rosetta Stone. I thought it was pretty good. Now that I'm taking Chinese classes, I now realize the way Rosetta Stone was teaching Chinese makes no sense at all. It skips integral aspects of the speaking and written language, and gives you no clue as to how the language is structured.

Its definitely my notebook. Of that I have no doubt.

I don't love the way Rosetta Stone teaches. But I don't have time to take a class right now, and Rosetta Stone is interactive enough to keep my going.

Forgetting languages is quite normal. I spoke fluent Czech, Slovak, and semi-fluent German some ten years back. Now my parents laugh at my English accent. My German knowledge has almost entirely evaporated. A few days back I thought about an absolutely standard word (the English for it is "colander"). I simply do not remember those words anymore. And on top of that, when I looked up the word, I could not associate it with the item anymore.

The old adage "use it or lose it" applies here well.

What is "Forgetting Latin: Surprise Re-Learning Experience"?

"Forgetting Latin: Surprise Re-Learning Experience" is a phenomenon in which a person who has previously studied Latin and then stopped using it, experiences a sudden and unexpected ability to remember and use the language again after a period of time has passed.

Why does "Forgetting Latin: Surprise Re-Learning Experience" occur?

The exact reason for this phenomenon is still unclear, but it may be due to the way the brain stores and retrieves memories. It is possible that the brain retains a basic understanding of the language, which can be reactivated when a person is exposed to it again.

Is "Forgetting Latin: Surprise Re-Learning Experience" common?

There is limited research on this topic, but anecdotal evidence suggests that it is not a common occurrence. It may happen more frequently in individuals who have a strong foundation in Latin and have not completely abandoned the language.

Can "Forgetting Latin: Surprise Re-Learning Experience" happen with other languages?

While there is no scientific evidence to support this, it is possible that this phenomenon may occur with other languages as well. It may depend on the individual's level of proficiency and how long they have been away from using the language.

Is "Forgetting Latin: Surprise Re-Learning Experience" beneficial?

Yes, this experience can be beneficial as it allows individuals to relearn and refresh their knowledge of Latin without having to start from scratch. It may also provide insights into the brain's capacity for language retention and reactivation.