Linear Algebra: Solving Systems of Equations with Wedge Product?

In summary, the author learned that if the null space of an equation system is not empty, then the solution is an entire subspace of the space you're working with. They also learned that if the system is inhomogeneous, then the solution might be an entire subspace.
jdstokes
Hi all,

I learned this stuff years ago and wasn't brilliant at it even then so I think a refresher is in order.

Suppose I have n distinct homogeneous equations in n unknowns. I want to find the solution so I write down the matrix of coefficients multiplying my vector of variables as follows

[itex]A \mathbf{x} =\mathbf{0}[/itex].

Now, we don't want [itex]\deta A \neq 0[/itex] to happen otherwise the columns of A are linearly independent so the only solution to [itex]A \mathbf{x} = \mathbf{C}_1 x_1 + \cdots \mathbf{C}_n x_n = \mathbf{0}[/itex] is [itex]\mathbf{0}[/itex].

Now how do we actually solve this for [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex], do we just do Gaussian elimination followed by back-substitution? Is the solution unique in this case?

Now suppose the system is inhomogeneous

[itex]A\mathbf{x} = \mathbf{b}[/itex] where [itex]\mathbf{b}\neq 0[/itex]. In this case we actually want [itex]\det A \neq 0[/itex] because then we can instantly write down the unique solution

[itex]\mathbf{x} = A^{-1}\mathbf{b}[/itex].

Have I gotten the solution to square systems about right? If yes, I'll try to figure out the non-square case.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdstokes said:
Now how do we actually solve this for [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex], do we just do Gaussian elimination followed by back-substitution? Is the solution unique in this case?

If the null space of A is not empty, then it is a subspace, so the solution is an entire subspace of the space you're working with, not just a single vector. The subspace containing only the zero vector is the only degenerate subspace that does consist of a single vector, and it is always in the null space.

Now suppose the system is inhomogeneous

[itex]A\mathbf{x} = \mathbf{b}[/itex] where [itex]\mathbf{b}\neq 0[/itex]. In this case we actually want [itex]\det A \neq 0[/itex] because then we can instantly write down the unique solution

[itex]\mathbf{x} = A^{-1}\mathbf{b}[/itex].

Have I gotten the solution to square systems about right? If yes, I'll try to figure out the non-square case.
Yep, that's right.

Last edited:
i suggest that after you write your matrix
just make a row reduction
and you are not supposed to write a column of zeros in the end
the last column depends on the last number after the "=" sign

You can also solve systems of equations of this form with the wedge product (wedging the column vectors). I'd put an example of this in the wiki Geometric Algebra page a while back when I started learning the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomet...rally_expressed_in_terms_of_the_wedge_product.

Looking at the example now, I don't think it's the greatest. It should also probably be in a wedge product page instead of GA ... but that was the context that I learned about it first (I chose to use the mostly empty wiki page to dump down my initial notes on the subject as I started learning it;)

1. What is "Forgotten" Linear Algebra?

"Forgotten" linear algebra refers to the basic concepts and techniques of linear algebra that are often overlooked or forgotten by students and researchers. These concepts are essential for understanding more advanced topics in linear algebra and for applications in various fields of science and engineering.

2. Why is it important to review "Forgotten" Linear Algebra?

Reviewing "Forgotten" linear algebra can help improve understanding of more advanced topics in linear algebra, as well as provide a solid foundation for applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics. It can also help identify and fill in any gaps in knowledge that may hinder progress in these areas.

3. What are some common "Forgotten" Linear Algebra topics?

Some common "Forgotten" linear algebra topics include vector operations, matrix multiplication, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations. These concepts are often taught in introductory courses, but may not be fully understood or retained by students.

4. How can I refresh my knowledge of "Forgotten" Linear Algebra?

There are many online resources available for refreshing your knowledge of "Forgotten" linear algebra, such as online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. Additionally, reviewing your notes and textbooks from previous courses can also be helpful.

5. What are some applications of "Forgotten" Linear Algebra?

"Forgotten" linear algebra has numerous applications in fields such as computer graphics, machine learning, signal processing, and economics. For example, eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used in principal component analysis, a popular method for data analysis and dimensionality reduction.