Understanding the Form Factor in Electron Scattering

In summary, the derivation of the form factor for electron scattering in a static potential involves a mathematical trick that separates the integral into two parts and allows for the substitution of variables. This substitution ultimately simplifies the integral and makes it possible to pull it out of the overall expression. By setting a constant vector and using it to redefine the variables, the integral becomes independent of the value of the fixed vector and can be easily solved.
Fosheimdet
I'm reading through Thomson's "Modern Particle Physics", and I've gotten stuck at a point in the derivation of the form factor for electron scattering in a static potential due to an extended charge distribution. It's just a mathematical "trick" i don't quite get.

He goes from

$$\int\int e^{i\vec{q}.(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')} e^{i\vec{q}.\vec{r}'} \frac{Q\rho(\vec{r}')}{4\pi|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} d^3\vec{r}' d^3\vec{r}$$

Then asks us to "fix" ##\vec{r}'## and integrate over ##d^3\vec{r}## with substitution ##\vec R = \vec r - \vec r'##, which separates the integral into two parts:

$$ \int e^{i\vec{q}.\vec R} \frac{Q}{4\pi|\vec R|} d^3\vec R \int \rho(\vec r') e^{i\vec{q}.\vec{r}'} d^3 \vec r'$$

Where the latter integral is the form factor.

How does this make sense? ##\vec R ## is a function of ##\vec r'## and thus needs to be included in the integral over ##d^3\vec r'##. If they really want to fix ##\vec r'## then ##d^3 \vec r' = 0## and the whole expression should be zero, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion: Do the integral over ## d^3 r ## first, (leaving the ## r' ## in there), (and pulling the terms with just ## r' ## out front as a constant), and I think it is apparent that the integral over ## d^3 r ## that involves terms with ## r-r' ## will be independent of the value of the fixed ##r' ##, (also, since the limits on the ## d^3 r ## integral are essentially ## -\infty ## and ## +\infty ##, and will not be changed by the ## r' ##). Thereby, it is permissible to drop ## r' ## in those terms and replace it with an integration over ## R ##.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Charles Link said:
Suggestion: Do the integral over ## d^3 r ## first, (leaving the ## r' ## in there), (and pulling the terms with just ## r' ## out front as a constant), and I think it is apparent that the integral over ## d^3 r ## that involves terms with ## r-r' ## will be independent of the value of the fixed ##r' ##, (also, since the limits on the ## d^3 r ## integral are essentially ## -\infty ## and ## +\infty ##, and will not be changed by the ## r' ##). Thereby, it is permissible to drop ## r' ## in those terms and replace it with an integration over ## R ##.

I see. The ##\vec r'## will simply shift the origin of ## f(\vec r) = e^{i\vec q \cdot (\vec r-\vec r')} \frac{Q}{4\pi |\vec r-\vec r'|} ## and because the integral limits are ##-\infty## and ##+\infty##, the integral will be the same for every value of ##\vec r'##. We can therefore set ## \vec r' = \vec {r_0} ## under this integral, where ##\vec r_0## is any constant vector. We can now pull this integral out, since it is independent of ##\vec r'##
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\vec q \cdot (\vec r - \vec r_0)} \frac{Q}{4\pi |\vec r - \vec r_0|} d^3 \vec r \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \rho(\vec r') e^{i\vec q \cdot \vec r'} d^3\vec r' $$ and if we now define ## \vec R = \vec r - \vec r_0 ##, we get ##d^3\vec R = d^3\vec r## (Since ##\vec {r_0} ## is constant), and thus

$$M_{fi} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\vec q \cdot \vec R} \frac{Q}{4\pi |\vec R|} d^3 \vec R \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \rho(\vec r') e^{i\vec q \cdot \vec r'} d^3\vec r' $$

Had the integral limits been finite, this would in general not have worked since shifting the origin of ##f(\vec r)## would mean integrating over a different part of ##f(\vec r)##.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link

1. What is form factor in scattering?

The form factor in scattering is a mathematical term used to describe the shape and size of an object that is being scattered by a particle or wave. It is a measure of how the scattered intensity is affected by the structure of the object.

2. How is form factor related to scattering experiments?

In scattering experiments, the form factor is used to calculate the scattering intensity of an object based on its size and shape. It is an important factor in understanding the structure and properties of materials.

3. What factors affect the form factor in scattering?

The form factor in scattering is affected by the size, shape, and orientation of the object being scattered, as well as the wavelength and angle of the incident particle or wave.

4. Can form factor be calculated for any object?

Yes, form factor can be calculated for any object, as long as its size and shape are known. However, for complex structures, the calculation may be more difficult and require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How does form factor differ from structure factor?

Form factor and structure factor are both used in scattering experiments, but they measure different aspects of the scattered intensity. Form factor is related to the size and shape of the object, while structure factor is related to the arrangement of atoms or particles within the object.