1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Form factor

1. Mar 20, 2007 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a form factor that only depends on the momentum transfer q, this is symbolised by writing the form factor as F(B]q[/B]^2).

[​IMG]

if i have a spherical symmetric distribution of charge, f only depends on the radius; r = | q|

Then integration over all solid angels yields:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9530&stc=1&d=1174376003

(there should be a r^2 inside the integral ;))

I do not understand how this Sinus - thing plops up.. all i know is this:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9531&stc=1&d=1174376117

I really need a hint how to go from the exponential function to this sinus thing. =/

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since f(x) is independent of the polar angles you can rotate the x coordinate system so that the q vector points along, say, the positive z-axis. So the exponential becomes exp(i*|q|*r*cos(theta)). Doing the theta integration gives you the 'sinus thing'.

4. Mar 20, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

thanx alot, i will try tonight:)

5. Mar 20, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it was a piece of cake now, thanx again!

6. Oct 22, 2010 #5
    Could you explain more about it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?