1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Form p = f(V)

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the internal energy of a material whose equation of state has the form p = f(V), T is independent of the volume and the pressure. That is

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial p}\right)_{T} = 0 [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    TdS = dU + pdV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer intiutively, i just dont know how one would go about showing it.
    I assume that U = f(p,v) and then take the partial derivatives, but I do not see where T comes into play

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    Re: Thermodynamics

Hmmm, Divide through by dv to get T ds/dv= dU/dv + p I am guessing you need to use a maxwell relation to get ds/dv to dp/dT I don't see how you get the partials to equal 0 though.

4. May 11, 2010 #3

I am trying to use the fundamental relation: Tds = dU + pdV and equate it with the partial expansion of U = U(V,p), however, I keep getting stuck because I do not know how to get the relationship of the change in U with either a change in V or p for a given temperature.

5. May 11, 2010 #4

not sure this helps but If U=U(V,p) you can use the chain rule to get to dU= (partial U/ partial V) dU + (partial U/partial p) dp

6. May 11, 2010 #5
    Simple Thermodynamics Problem

Is this a single variable problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook