Finding Maximum Delta for a Limit Involving a Quadratic Function

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the maximum value of δ that satisfies the inequality |x2 - 9|<0.009 if |x-3|<δ. The person is struggling with quadratic functions and considering using epsilon and delta to solve the problem. They suggest starting with the inequality |x-3|<δ and combining it with a second inequality to form a system of inequalities that involve δ and ε. The ultimate goal is to find the maximum value of δ that satisfies the given inequality.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Find a maximum value of δ.
Relevant Equations
limx→3 (x^2) =9.
Consider limx→3x^2=9.
Find a maximum value of δ such that:
|x2 - 9|<0.009 if |x-3|<δ

I just learned how to do this today and I am quite comfortable doing this if the function is linear, however now I am struggling with working with quadratic functions.

So far this is what I have come up with:

-0.009<x2-9<0.009

-0.009<(x-3)(x+3)<0.009

This is where I begin to get confused. Should I first solve it using epsilon and delta? And then use 0.009?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture! Of course not with a true scale, exaggerate. You could solve ##x^2-9 = 0.009## and observe how far away from ##3## your values are allowed to be.

It all boils down to solving a system of inequalities that involve ##\delta## and ##\epsilon##.

To formulate the system I would start with $$|x-3|<\delta \Rightarrow -\delta<x-3<\delta \Rightarrow 6-\delta<x+3<6+\delta$$

Now by combining the last two inequalities what inequalities can you infer for the product ##x^2-9=(x-3)(x+3)## which has to satisfy ##|x^2-9|<\epsilon##. You got to be careful in the combining though , cause one can't always multiply inequalities and get an inequality with the same direction.

1. What is the formal definition of a limit?

The formal definition of a limit is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as the input values get closer and closer to a specific value. It is written as "the limit of f(x) as x approaches a" and is denoted by the symbol lim f(x).

2. How is the formal definition of a limit different from the intuitive understanding of a limit?

The formal definition of a limit involves precise mathematical language and notation, while the intuitive understanding of a limit is based on our common sense and intuition. The formal definition provides a rigorous and exact definition, while the intuitive understanding is more general and can vary from person to person.

3. What are the three components of the formal definition of a limit?

The three components of the formal definition of a limit are the function f(x), the value the input is approaching (a), and the value the function approaches as x approaches a. These components are denoted by lim f(x), x → a, and L, respectively.

4. When is a limit considered to exist?

A limit is considered to exist if the value of the function approaches a specific value (L) as the input values get closer and closer to a (x → a). If the function does not approach a single value, or if the values approach different values from the left and right sides, the limit is said to not exist.

5. How is the formal definition of a limit used in calculus?

The formal definition of a limit is used in calculus to study the behavior of functions and to solve problems involving derivatives and integrals. It allows us to determine the precise value of a limit, which is essential in understanding the behavior of a function at a specific point.