Solution: Proving Existence of x for Logic Formal Proof

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fumbles22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic Proof
In summary, the proof system used in this conversation is unclear, but the given formula is not provable due to the presence of a counterexample. The steps provided in the conversation are also unclear and do not lead to a valid proof. The author suggests specifying the formal system and any necessary axioms before attempting to construct a proof.
Fumbles22
Give a formal proof to show [tex] \forall x (0' + x' ) = (x . 0'') \vdash \exists x (x + x')= (x . x')[/tex]

I'm new to these, and this one looks like it should be easy.

What I want to do is:
1). substitute x into where there are already x's.
2). Make the statement valid for all y
3). substitute y into 0' and y' into 0''.
3). Since it's valid for all y, choose y to be 0.

Here's what I did:

1 (1) [tex] \forall x (0' + x' ) = (x . 0'')[/tex] Assumption
1 (2) [tex](0' +x')=(x.0'')[/tex] Universal Elimination rule
1 (3) [tex]\exists y (y+x')=(x.y') [/tex] Existential Introduction, 2
4 (4) [tex] y=x [/tex] Assumption
1,4 (5) [tex] \exists x (x+x')=(x.x') [/tex] Taut 3,4 <--- ?
1 (6) [tex] \exists x (x+x')= (x.x') [/tex] Existential Hypothesis, 5

I think I've got the right idea, I think the execution starts to go wrong at around line (4).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to MHB!

First of all, you need to specify the formal system in which you construct proofs. Just like the same thought or algorithm can be expressed in many natural or programming languages, the same formula can be proved in many formalisms. Mathematical logic has many proof systems: Hilbert calculus (which has numerous axiomatizations), natural deduction, sequent calculus, semantic tableau, resolution, and so on. These systems have good mathematical properties are are legitimate objects of study. Besides, many logic textbooks (especially written by philosophers (Evilgrin)) have their own, often ad-hoc proof systems, such as the http://www.doczonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/Rules-of-Inferenceetc.pdf (PDF) from Introduction to Logic by Irving Copi. In addition, if you need to prove some obvious arithmetical fact, such as 0 ≠ 1 or x + y = y + x, you need to specify arithmetical axioms, such as Peano axioms or ring axioms.

fumbles said:
Give a formal proof to show [tex] \forall x (0' + x' ) = (x . 0'') \vdash \exists x (x + x')= (x . x')[/tex]
This is not provable because there is a counterexample. The soundness theorem for first-order logic says that if $A\vdash B$ for two formulas $A$, $B$, then $M\models A$ implies $M\models B$ for all interpretations $M$. Let $M$ be $\{0,1\}$ where $x'$ is interpreted as $x+1$ and addition and multiplication are modulo 2. Note that this is a model of ring axioms. Then $M\models\forall x\; 0' + x' = x\cdot 0''$, but $M\not\models\exists x\;x + x'=x\cdot x'$.

fumbles said:
What I want to do is:
1). substitute x into where there are already x's.
2). Make the statement valid for all y
3). substitute y into 0' and y' into 0''.
3). Since it's valid for all y, choose y to be 0.
I did not understand any of these steps until I read the following derivation. First, substituting x for x and turning $\forall x\,P(x)$ into $P(x)$ is legitimate, but suspicious and rarely used (only maybe to derive $(\forall x\,P(x))\to\exists x\,P(x)$, which itself is a suspicious law). It is not clear how you make the statement valid for all y since below you introduce the existential, and not the universal, quantifier. You can't substitute y into 0' because 0' does not have variables. One substitutes an expression E for a variable x into another expression F(x) to produce F(E).

fumbles said:
Here's what I did:

1 (1) [tex] \forall x (0' + x' ) = (x . 0'')[/tex] Assumption
1 (2) [tex](0' +x')=(x.0'')[/tex] Universal Elimination rule
1 (3) [tex]\exists y (y+x')=(x.y') [/tex] Existential Introduction, 2
4 (4) [tex] y=x [/tex] Assumption
1,4 (5) [tex] \exists x (x+x')=(x.x') [/tex] Taut 3,4 <--- ?
1 (6) [tex] \exists x (x+x')= (x\cdot x') [/tex] Existential Hypothesis, 5
Step (3) should be [tex]\exists y\; (y+x')=(x\cdot y)[/tex] because 0' is replaced by y. And if you want to use a fact $\exists x\,P(x)$ by considering the $x$ it talks about, you can't make any assumption about this $x$ except that $P(x)$ holds. Here, you can't assume that $y = x$ and derive [tex] \exists x\; (x+x')=(x\cdot x') [/tex] from [tex]\exists y\; (y+x')=(x\cdot y') [/tex].

Hint: You can use \cdot in LaTeX for multiplication.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Welcome to MHB!

First of all, you need to specify the formal system in which you construct proofs. Just like the same thought or algorithm can be expressed in many natural or programming languages, the same formula can be proved in many formalisms. Mathematical logic has many proof systems: Hilbert calculus (which has numerous axiomatizations), natural deduction, sequent calculus, semantic tableau, resolution, and so on. These systems have good mathematical properties are are legitimate objects of study. Besides, many logic textbooks (especially written by philosophers (Evilgrin)) have their own, often ad-hoc proof systems, such as the http://www.doczonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/Rules-of-Inferenceetc.pdf (PDF) from Introduction to Logic by Irving Copi. In addition, if you need to prove some obvious arithmetical fact, such as 0 ≠ 1 or x + y = y + x, you need to specify arithmetical axioms, such as Peano axioms or ring axioms.

I'm afraid I'm just starting out, so I think some of this information has been removed from my notes in the name of simplicity. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, too much information at the start of a module would be downright confusing.

Although the question does not state it, I think x belongs in "N" (in the notes it isn't actually an N, it's a "curly N"). Any numbers we have are natural ones, [tex] \cdot [/tex] corresponds to regular multiplication and ' means "add one" (ie. [tex] 0' = 1 [/tex] etc).

To show you what the question answers look like, i'll post the another question I had to do. Maybe it will look familiar. Oddly, this question is worth 4 marks (so is theoretically harder), while this one is only worth 2.

1). Give a formal proof for [tex] \forall v ( \neg \phi \leftrightarrow \psi), \forall v \neg \psi \vdash \forall v \phi [/tex]

Here, the first column is the "assumption column" showing what assumptions the line depends on. The second column are the line numbers, the third is the statement and the fourth column states the rule I'm using.

1 (1) [tex] \forall v (\neg \phi \leftrightarrow \psi) [/tex] Assumption
2 (2) [tex] \forall v \neg \psi [/tex] Assumption
1 (3) [tex] \neg \phi \leftrightarrow \psi [/tex] Universal Eliminator 1
2 (4) [tex] \neg \psi [/tex] Universal Eliminator 2
1,2 (5) [tex] \phi [/tex] Tautology 3,4
1,2 (6) [tex] \forall v \phi [/tex] Universal Indicator 5

Does that look like anything you've seen before?
This is not provable because there is a counterexample. The soundness theorem for first-order logic says that if $A\vdash B$ for two formulas $A$, $B$, then $M\models A$ implies $M\models B$ for all interpretations $M$. Let $M$ be $\{0,1\}$ where $x'$ is interpreted as $x+1$ and addition and multiplication are modulo 2. Note that this is a model of ring axioms. Then $M\models\forall x\; 0' + x' = x\cdot 0''$, but $M\not\models\exists x\;x + x'=x\cdot x'$.

I haven't encountered much of this yet.

I did check when I couldn't get the question to work out on the module website. There isn't an errata about it. I might send my tutor an email about it anyway.

I did not understand any of these steps until I read the following derivation. First, substituting x for x and turning $\forall x\,P(x)$ into $P(x)$ is legitimate, but suspicious and rarely used (only maybe to derive $(\forall x\,P(x))\to\exists x\,P(x)$, which itself is a suspicious law). It is not clear how you make the statement valid for all y

But I didn't make it valid for all y. I chose [tex] y=0'[/tex], replaced accordingly and put [tex] \exists y[/tex]. I'm pretty sure this is valid, here's an example from the course notes:

Show that [tex]\forall x (x+0)=x \vdash \exists x (x+x)=x [/tex]

1 (1) [tex] \forall x(x+0)=x [/tex] Assumption
1 (2) [tex] (0+0)=0[/tex] Universal Eliminator.1
1 (3) [tex] \exists x(x+x)=x [/tex] Existential Introduction 2

In a sense, we've almost used that [tex] \forall x P(x) \rightarrow \exists x P(x) [/tex] law you were talking about. In this case, our [tex] P(x) [/tex] on line (1) turns into a [tex] Q(x)[/tex] on line (3).

In this case they do what I do and replace [tex] 0[/tex] with [tex] x[/tex].

Anyway, in the meantime i'll send a message to my tutor asking whether the question is actually doable.

EDIT: I tried to reply to your PM, but my "score" isn't high enough. I'll reply to it when it hits 5.

Last edited:
Wow. I can't believe I did not see a double prime in

\[\forall x (0' + x' ) = (x . 0'') \vdash \exists x (x + x')= (x . x')\]

and in two other places. I thought it was a single prime. My vision is really going down, and I am not kidding: I wear contact lenses whose diameter is about 2cm.

Basically, you need to instantiate x with 0' in the assumption and then replace all occurrences of 0' back with x using existential introduction. Sorry about the previous misleading reply.

fumbles said:
1 (1) [tex] \forall v (\neg \phi \leftrightarrow \psi) [/tex] Assumption
2 (2) [tex] \forall v \neg \psi [/tex] Assumption
1 (3) [tex] \neg \phi \leftrightarrow \psi [/tex] Universal Eliminator 1
2 (4) [tex] \neg \psi [/tex] Universal Eliminator 2
1,2 (5) [tex] \phi [/tex] Tautology 3,4
1,2 (6) [tex] \forall v \phi [/tex] Universal Indicator 5

Does that look like anything you've seen before?
This looks like natural deduction, but it allows propositional reasoning in one step.

I managed to do it. Oddly enough, I used the method that the book!

For some reason. I couldn't get it to work yesterday. Today it worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help Makarov.

1. What is a logic formal proof?

A logic formal proof is a method used to demonstrate the validity of a logical argument. It involves breaking down an argument into smaller, more manageable steps and using logical rules and axioms to show that the conclusion follows necessarily from the premises.

2. Why is it important to prove the existence of x in a logic formal proof?

Proving the existence of x in a logic formal proof is important because it ensures the validity of the argument. Without proving the existence of x, the argument may be incomplete or flawed, leading to incorrect conclusions.

3. How do you go about proving the existence of x in a logic formal proof?

Proving the existence of x in a logic formal proof involves using logical rules and axioms to show that x must exist in order for the conclusion to follow from the given premises. This may involve substitution, contradiction, or other methods depending on the specific proof.

4. What are some common challenges faced when proving the existence of x in a logic formal proof?

One common challenge is determining which logical rules and axioms to use in order to prove the existence of x. Another challenge is ensuring that all steps in the proof are logically sound and follow from the given premises. It may also be difficult to determine when and how to use substitution or contradiction to prove the existence of x.

5. Can the existence of x ever be proven with absolute certainty in a logic formal proof?

Yes, if the proof is conducted correctly and all logical steps are sound, then the existence of x can be proven with absolute certainty in a logic formal proof. However, it is important to note that the validity of the argument is dependent on the accuracy and completeness of the given premises, which may not always be certain.