Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Format size

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    i have a camera with 1/3 " format. I have a cctv lens in front of it with a focal length of 50mm. In order to improve my FOV i intend to use a cctv lens of a smaller focal length, and the vendor is providing me a smaller focal length for a 2/3 " format. i want to know if a cctv of say 25mm focal length, 2/3" format would work equally for a 1/3" format?

I also wish to know the relation that exists b/w the diagonal length of the image pick up device and the terminology that is used to represent the size of the image pick up device i.e the format.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not clear what you mean by 'improve'. "Increase"?

I'm also a bit confused by your second question- the CCD spec (1/4", 1/3", 2/3") refers to the diagonal dimension of the chip, which loosely correlates with the number of pixels.

4. Jul 18, 2009 #3
    yes, I intend to increase the FOV

And as far as the second question goes, I wish to know what that exact relation is .

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You need information about the chip- pixel size and spacing, color filter (if present) to answer that, if I understand what you are asking.

A lens designed for a 2/3" chip will work just fine on a 1/3" chip- maybe even better, because the 1/3" chip will only pick up a central portion of the image plane, and aberrations are usually much less on-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook