Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formation of band gap

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    band gap arises due to lattice potential.band gap is produced at zone boundary due to bragg reflection.there it behaves like standing wave instead of travelling wave?further formation of 2 standing waves?plz help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2
    i tried best to clear my question,
    band gap in solids arises due to lattice potential.this lattice potential has max. effect at zone boundary.band gap is produced at zone boundary due to bragg reflection of travelling wave.after reflection it becomes standing wave instead of travelling wave?howz this possible?plz help

4. May 22, 2009 #3
    I'm not an expert, but I here's my opinion:

Yes, bandgap arises from the bragg reflections at the zone boundary. the traveling wave becomes a standing wave - I agree. How is this possible? The mathematical definition of traveling wave is: Amplitude * cos( k * x - omega * t), where k is the wavevector of the wave, omega is its characteristic frequency, x and t are spatial and time coordinates. When traveling wave suffers a reflection off the zone boundary there's an equal but opposite traveling wave (reflected part). By superposition then, the total k of the wave is zero - hence standing wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook