• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Formation of Images by lenses!

• Thread starter lenaosu
  • Start date
1. An object is placed in front of a converging lens in such a position that the lens (f = 11.0 cm) creates a real image located 27.0 cm from the lens. Then, with the object remaining in place, the lens is replaced with another converging lens (f = 19.0 cm). A new, real image is formed. What is the image distance of this new image?

2. I tried using 1/f= 1/d0-1/di to solve for this. But it doesn't seem to be working.
Any suggestions.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

alphysicist
Homework Helper
Hi lenaosu,

The thin lens formula is

[tex]
\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{d_i}
[/tex]

Depending on the problem, any of these variables might turn out to be negative numbers. What numbers are you using, and what do you get?

i used the thin lens equations twice.
1.) 1/f-1/di=1/do
1/11-1/27=1/di
di=18.6cm

2.) 1/f-1/do=1/di
1/19-1/18.6=1/di
di= -883.5cm

My calculations for my second image doesn't seem correct. My image should be to the left of my lens and not to the righ tof my lens.

alphysicist
Homework Helper
Since the object distance is less than the focal length for the second lens, it's image should be virtual, and so I think the fact that the final image length is negative is right.

However, you should not round your result from step 1 to three digits. Keep all the digits you can, and then round the final answer. Here it makes a relatively large difference.