Formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds

In summary, the question at hand is whether the formation of molecular hydrogen is likely in the Interstellar Medium (ISM), based on the observation of a 21-cm emission line from neutral atomic hydrogen. The likelihood of H2 formation depends on the temperature, density, and available mechanisms for its formation in the ISM. By considering these factors and relevant equations, one can make an assessment on the likelihood of H2 formation in the ISM.
Dan27

Homework Statement

The question involves a HI could in the ISM with an observed 21-cm emission line.
I'm asked whether formation of molecular Hydrogen is likely.

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I should say that this is a thermodynamics question and not astro.

I understand that neutral H must be abundant and that the 21-cm line is due to the energy difference in the alignment of spin. I've got figures for the average temperatures, number densities and 'simple' non-quantum mechanisms for the formation of molecular H.

But from the vague question, I'm finding it hard to actually be able to determine the likelihood of it.

The question suggests use of equations .. so if anyone could give me any advice at all, that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I would like to provide some insights and guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, let's clarify some terminology. ISM stands for Interstellar Medium, which is the matter and radiation that exists in the space between stars in a galaxy. HI refers to neutral atomic hydrogen, and 21-cm emission line refers to a spectral line in the radio frequency range that is emitted by neutral hydrogen atoms.

Now, to address your question about the likelihood of molecular hydrogen formation in the ISM, we need to consider the conditions and processes that contribute to its formation. Molecular hydrogen (H2) is formed when two hydrogen atoms come together and bond, releasing energy in the process. This process is highly dependent on the temperature and density of the gas in the ISM.

Based on your figures for average temperature and number density, you can use the Saha equation to determine the ionization fraction of hydrogen in the ISM. This will give you an idea of the relative abundance of neutral hydrogen compared to ionized hydrogen. In order for molecular hydrogen to form, there must be a significant amount of neutral hydrogen present.

Next, you can consider the different mechanisms for the formation of molecular hydrogen. One possible mechanism is the formation of H2 through collisions between neutral hydrogen atoms. This process is more efficient at lower temperatures and higher densities. Another mechanism is the formation of H2 through the catalytic effect of dust grains in the ISM. This process is more efficient at higher temperatures and lower densities.

Based on the conditions in the ISM and the efficiency of these formation mechanisms, you can make an assessment of the likelihood of molecular hydrogen formation. It is also important to consider the timescale of formation, as the ISM is a dynamic environment with gas constantly moving and interacting.

I hope this helps guide your thinking on this question. Remember to always consider the relevant equations and available data, and to think critically about the processes involved. Best of luck with your answer.A fellow scientist

What is the process of formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds?

The process of formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds is called the "formation of H2". It occurs when two hydrogen atoms (H) combine to form a molecule of dihydrogen (H2). This process is driven by the low temperatures and high densities found in HI clouds, which provide the necessary conditions for the formation of H2 molecules.

What are the factors that influence the formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds?

The main factors that influence the formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds are temperature, density, and the presence of dust particles. Low temperatures and high densities favor the formation of H2 molecules, while the presence of dust particles acts as a catalyst for the process.

What is the role of ultraviolet radiation in the formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds?

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation plays a crucial role in the formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds. It breaks down the H2 molecules into individual hydrogen atoms, which then combine to form H2 again. This process, known as the "photodissociation of H2", allows the formation of H2 molecules at lower temperatures than would be possible without the presence of UV radiation.

How does the formation of molecular hydrogen impact star formation in HI clouds?

The formation of molecular hydrogen is a crucial step in the process of star formation in HI clouds. H2 molecules act as the building blocks for the formation of more complex molecules, which eventually lead to the formation of stars. Without the formation of H2, the process of star formation would not be possible.

What are the current theories and models explaining the formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds?

There are several theories and models that attempt to explain the formation of molecular hydrogen in HI clouds. These include the "thermal instability model", the "turbulent mixing model", and the "grain-surface model". Each of these models takes into account different factors such as temperature, density, and chemical reactions to explain the formation of H2 molecules in HI clouds.