What Does 'D' Stand for in ODEs?

• Thread starter brunie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ODEs of the form (XD^3 + 4D^2)y = 8e^x and the meaning of the D operator. It also mentions using the undetermined coefficient method to solve similar problems. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use u=D^2 y and integrating to find the solution.
brunie
Hi,
I was doing a few homework questions and I came about a few ODEs of this form.
For example,

(XD^3 + 4D^2)y = 8e^x

Im not sure what the D stands for, is it a constant, is it a derivative of y (ie. y'''), etc. ??

In the same section of problems there were questions that I solved using undetermined coefficient method by finding both the homogenous and particular solutions.

Any help would be appreicated.
AB

Physics news on Phys.org
"D" represents the differential operator. D^2 is the second derivative and D^3 is the third derivative. Is the X in "XD^3" supposed to be x?

If you let u= D^2 y (i.e. u= y") then that equation reduces to the linear first order equation xu'+ 4y= 8e^x. You can solve that by finding the integrating factor and then integrate twice more to find y.

Hi AB,

The D in this equation represents the derivative operator, which is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative of a function. In this case, the equation is a third-order ordinary differential equation (ODE), which means it involves the third derivative of the function y.

When solving ODEs, it is important to properly identify and understand the notation being used. In this case, the D represents the derivative operator, and the equation is asking you to find a function y that satisfies the equation when its third derivative is multiplied by X and added to its second derivative multiplied by 4.

I am glad to hear that you were able to solve some of the problems using the undetermined coefficient method. This is a useful technique for finding the particular solution of an ODE when the general solution of the homogeneous equation is already known.

I would suggest reviewing the concept of derivative operators and their use in ODEs to further understand this type of equation. Good luck with your homework!

What is formatting?

Formatting refers to the way information is organized and presented in a document, such as font styles, spacing, and layout.

Why is formatting important in scientific writing?

Formatting is important in scientific writing because it helps to convey information clearly and efficiently. It also follows industry standards and allows for easier communication and understanding among scientists.

What are some common formatting styles used in scientific writing?

Some common formatting styles used in scientific writing include APA (American Psychological Association), MLA (Modern Language Association), and Chicago. These styles dictate how information should be cited, referenced, and presented in a document.

How do I properly format citations and references in my scientific paper?

To properly format citations and references, you should follow the guidelines of the formatting style used in your paper. This may include using in-text citations, a reference list, and specific formatting for different types of sources (e.g. books, journal articles, websites).

Can I use different formatting styles within one scientific paper?

In most cases, it is best to stick to one formatting style throughout your scientific paper. However, there may be instances where you need to use a different style for specific sections (e.g. citing a source from a different discipline). In these cases, it is important to be consistent and follow the guidelines for each style used.