Former bands you'd love to see

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the expert would have most liked to have seen:Led Zeppelin, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Stone Roses, Rage Against the Machine.
Ivan Seeking said:
I was really ticked off to find out that I missed Jethro Tull in Portland.
The biggest band that I ever saw was The Stones in...gulp...'77.

I saw the Stones at Maine Rd. (Manchester UK) back in the early 80's. They were absolutely awesome!
I wasn't a big Stones fan before I went but have been ever since.
Definetly the best live gig I've ever seen!

BTW saw Bob Dylan the other night and it was, it pains me to say, rubbish!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally Posted by Ivan Seeking
I was really ticked off to find out that I missed Jethro Tull in Portland.
The biggest band that I ever saw was The Stones in...gulp...'77.
Cybersteve said:
I saw the Stones at Maine Rd. (Manchester UK) back in the early 80's. They were absolutely awesome!
I wasn't a big Stones fan before I went but have been ever since.
Definetly the best live gig I've ever seen!
BTW saw Bob Dylan the other night and it was, it pains me to say, rubbish!

I'm very envious of both of you having seen The Stones when the Stones were younger men! But a little disspointed that neither of you made mention of my mention of their song 'Sympathy for the Devil', which to my current thinking has to be the greatest pop song written!:smile:
Also pleased MIM likes Squeeze! I can't go near Clapham Common without the tune about how it did 'happen with the girl from Clapham' goning through my head.

flotsam said:
I saw Metallica on their 'Justice For All' tour in Glasgow. They were awesome. The instrumental 'To live is die' is my best memory, it was amazing. I agree that their new stuff is highly dissapointing. In my view they sold out. I think Cliff Burton would be very unhappy if he were around. RIP Cliff.

I saw them at Leeds festival in 2003. They were fantastic, despite material from St. Anger being played. I would have loved to see them when Cliff was still with them.

The Beatles (one of my greatest dreams can never come true :cry:)
Nirvana
Led Zeppelin
The Crickets

Just in case this thread is segueing into a bragging rights "I was there" type of thing, I just wanted to say: "I was there "

Nirvana, 1988, after release of Bleach, opening for Mudhoney (I can no longer hear at 80 Hz becuase of this night).

Clash, 1981. Horrible, sorry.

U2, 1980 Hartford CT. Life-changing moment.

REM 1982, Washington DC with 20 other people in the audience. I remember thinking that they were "ok."

Add the Specials to the top of my wish list.

Oh, and I saw the Osmond Brothers in 1970 (my mum took me to the early show! I was five years old and it was the greatest thing I had ever seen!)

I think if this thread did turn into a bragging contest you Americans would win hands down.

10 million claims to have been at Woodstock would be hard to beat!:wink:

Have seen: (! = killer live show - better than any album)
Tull
Grateful Dead !
New Riders
Byrds
Blue Oyster Cult
John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra
Alice Cooper
Eagles (x2) !
Fleetwood Mac
Boz Scaggs !
Emmylou and the Hot Band !
Chuck Berry
Coasters
Shirells
Screaming Jay Hawkins
Melanie
Heart (x2)
Bonnie Raitt !
Robben Ford !
and many more

Would love to have seen:
Fleetwood Mac (original Blues lineup w/ Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer)
Led Zep
Hendrix
Beatles
Allman Brothers (I had tickets to the Bangor show when Duane died):frown:
Cream
Loggins and Messina
Buffalo Springfield
CSN&Y
Yes
Humble Pie
Dire Straits

Great mix of tastes you have there turbo-1:cool:

Cybersteve said:
Great mix of tastes you have there turbo-1:cool:
Thanks. I missed Woodstock, just for the record - I worked every summer to earn money for college and simply could not afford the trip.

Robben Ford tours Europe from time to time - you should try to see him when he's in the UK. He's a tremendous performer and his live act is not to be missed.

I wish I'd been around to see Mr Shiraz in the summer of 2005.

Me too! Oh, wait...
Incedentally, where the heck were you?

At the front on the right hand side with the Evil Lizzies. We'd bought our 5th crate of Carling that morning, don't remember seeing you!

two other bands I wished I could have seen-YES and Faith no More. I just adore Mike Patton's voice :!)

brewnog said:
At the front on the right hand side with the Evil Lizzies. We'd bought our 5th crate of Carling that morning, don't remember seeing you!

I was there (on the left somewhere) but couldn't find you.

Cybersteve said:
Beach Boys - were they any good live?

They were pretty good when I saw 'em. I was pretty little, though, so I don't remember a whole lot.

"Chicago" played with the Beach Boys, too. I wished I could've been older to see the bands at the show, though... that way I'd remember better.

Last edited:
I don't ever remember seeing footage of a live Beach Boys concert other than just a short clip.
I have seen a few recent recordings of Brian Wilson, which good as they are only show how much he's faded (not the right word but it'll have to do) and makes me wonder what I missed.

-Job- said:
I like most of the bands people mentioned here and indeed would like to see them live, but if i had to choose it would definitely be ACDC with Bon Scott.
By the way, whoever mentioned the Pixies, they've very recently reunited and went on tour, so you may have missed your chance, way to go. :)

Sounds good. I saw AC/DC a few years ago down here in Melbourne where they started. People here went nuts (although almost everyone there was 40+). My friends dad used to see them when they were playing pubs down here. Angus Young used to hop from table to table stealing people's beers. There's also a woman that lives down the road that used to date Bon Scott before they went really big.

I'd like to see "Metallica"

Rage Against the Machine.
Alice in Chains and Soundgarden would be cool too.

Kazza_765 said:
Sounds good. I saw AC/DC a few years ago down here in Melbourne where they started. People here went nuts (although almost everyone there was 40+). My friends dad used to see them when they were playing pubs down here. Angus Young used to hop from table to table stealing people's beers. There's also a woman that lives down the road that used to date Bon Scott before they went really big.

Cool, I saw ACDC in New Jersey a while back, there were so many people and i was so far away i couldn't see much, but it sounded good. Personally i think Bon Scott was far better than Brian Johnson is even if i started liking ACDC with Brian, Bon's lyrics are so cool and funny and you can't beat Angus' riffs.

Man. I can't count the number of times I have been wasted at a pub and got up on stage with the band and screamed out an ACDC song. I used to have long hair and a hat like Brian Johnson wears, and I'd get up and do my best Angus air-guitar impersonation. Actually the last time was at a 21st a few weeks ago. But I got dreadlocks last week so it won't have the same effect anymore.

Another band i'd like to have been able to see is The Police in their earlier days (but in a small place so i can catch all the subtleties of the drums) the drummer is phenomenal and songs like "Bombs Away" and "Man in a Suitcase" would've sound really good in some small bar or something similar. Not to mention Stevie Ray Vaughn. My brother has SRV live at El Mocombo and it's possibly the best live performance i ever saw.

matthyaouw said:
Out of all the bands no longer in existence, which would you have most liked to see?
A few of mine:
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
The Smashing Pumpkins
Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine.
I was meant to be born in '76, not '86, I'm telling you!

GUNS 'N' ROSES

Yeah, Welcome to the Jungle, hiiiihaaaaaaaaaa:devil: :cool:

marlon

Agnetha, Björn, Benny, and Anni-Frid, of course!