Former bands you'd love to see

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the expert would have most liked to have seen:Led Zeppelin, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Stone Roses, Rage Against the Machine.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Out of all the bands no longer in existence, which would you have most liked to see?

A few of mine:
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
The Smashing Pumpkins
Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine.

I was meant to be born in '76, not '86, I'm telling you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oooh, good one!

I'd have to say:

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Stone Roses
The Smiths
The Who

That will do for now. Ohh, and Jeff Buckley.

Jeff Buckley! How could I forget!?

Led ZeppelinThats the only old band that I can think of for now.

The One, The Only, The Beatles.

Guns N' Roses
Led Zeppelin
The Who

Queen -at around the mid eighties.
Hendrix - obviously!
Kinks
Beach Boys - were they any good live?
Bowie - in his Ziggy days - providing I don't have to dress up!

PS Saw Bob Dylan tonight after waiting 40 years!

Soul Coughing
Sadly they were around during the 90s but I never got the opertunity to see them.

The Rat Pack
Not really a band but still.

The Benny Goodman Orchestra

The team up of They Might Be Giants with M. Doughty
It happened and I had not clue.

Joy Division
Gang of Four (when there were only three of them)
Sex Pistols
X
Germs

The Doors with Jim Morrison

Integral said:
The Doors with Jim Morrison
I saw them. It was bizarre and rather boring, Morrison disappeared underneath the stage for 20 minutes while they were playing "Light my fire" and the rest of the band kept playing the same piece over and over. It was really annoying.

I also saw

Led Zeppelin (twice)
The Who
Jimi Hendrix
etc...

Joy Division (obviously)
Led Zeppelin
Love
Nick Drake
Television
The Clash
Johnny Cash
Woody Guthrie (not that I think he would have been anything special live, but it would have been nice to meet him)
The Who
The Allman Brothers (I have seen them, but I would have liked to see them when Duane Allman was still alive)
Beatles
Soundgarden
Gram Parsons
Ray Charles
Marvin Gaye (especially w/ Tammi Terrell)
Beach Boys (again, I have seen them, but it would have been nice when they were whole and not in their 60s)
Public Enemy
Jeff Buckley
Elliot Smith (would have seen him, too, if it wasn't for a last-minute flakeout from stupid Kathy Colby)
Richie Valens (white-washed Hispanic kid from suburban LA; a man after my own heart)

It might have been cool to see the Manic Street Preachers; I don't know

(original) Van Halen [...I did see VH with Sammy in concert.]
(original) Black Sabbath

robphy said:
(original) Van Halen [...I did see VH with Sammy in concert.]
(original) Black Sabbath

Van Halen played at one of my dad's birthday parties in his backyard, when they were still just a local band without a record deal. That would have been so awesome to be there.

The Osmonds - esp Donny and Marie.

Ivan Seeking said:
The Osmonds - esp Donny and Marie.
In this vein, it's my understanding that William Shatner recorded an album of his vocal stylings. Wouldn't it be great to see him singing live?

Shatner and Nimoy did some great stuff. And do I hear a chant for the Partridge Family?

Okay seriously though, I would have loved to have seen Sonny and Cher. I think Sonny was a great guy [couldn't sing but a great guy] and I still like Cher.

Rage Against the Machine. Political fury at its best!

Without a doubt I'd love to see Led Zeppelin in concert. Here is a list of concerts I've seen - Kiss, Triumph, Kansas, Ozzy Osbourne, and Fleetwood Mac. All very cool. But I never saw Led Zeppelin and I wished I did.

Pete

As someone who isn't British, it feels so good/British to, say, find yourself driving along Park Lane amongst red double busses and black cabs with 'Sympathy for the Devil' playing. Its ignited a desire to see old London bands like The Who, Jam, Pistols, Specials, Squeeze, Clash. Would like to have seen the Buzzcocks and since they keep getting mentioned, Joy Division too, or been to CBGB in the early days. (tastes obviously influenced by much older sibllings:smile: )

QUEEN! and maybe Guns N Roses.

Im afraid i am quite awkward, and tend to like different songs from different artists, and rearely most of the work of a single band.

spongebob_79 said:
QUEEN! and maybe Guns N Roses.
Im afraid i am quite awkward, and tend to like different songs from different artists, and rearely most of the work of a single band.
I saw Queen and I remember standing outside the concert hall waiting for the doors to open. The band was doing a sound check and played "We Will Rock You." Everyone standing outside went nuts! It was an awesome show!

Evo said:
Led Zeppelin (twice)
The Who
Jimi Hendrix
etc...

Yeah well you smell! :tongue:

I saw Guns n Roses. (Well, I saw Axl Rose and a GnR tribute band, kinda). It wasn't very good, but it was very entertaining. Lots of redneck imagery on massive projection screens, - dragsters blowing up, trains crashing, rockets launching. All good fun.

And The Pixies, eh Matt/Icky? :smile:

The pixies! :biggrin:

I remmeber seeing the last ever gig the Stone Roses played, they imploded live on stage.

I think I may of seen Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine, I can't really remember (been to a quite a few Reading Fetsivals as it's only 10mins from my house).

I like most of the bands people mentioned here and indeed would like to see them live, but if i had to choose it would definitely be ACDC with Bon Scott.

By the way, whoever mentioned the Pixies, they've very recently reunited and went on tour, so you may have missed your chance, way to go. :)

jcsd said:
I remmeber seeing the last ever gig the Stone Roses played, they imploded live on stage.

I think I may of seen Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine, I can't really remember (been to a quite a few Reading Fetsivals as it's only 10mins from my house).

I'm unimaginably jealous right now! :grumpy:

fi said:
As someone who isn't British, it feels so good/British to, say, find yourself driving along Park Lane amongst red double busses and black cabs with 'Sympathy for the Devil' playing. Its ignited a desire to see old London bands like The Who, Jam, Pistols, Specials, Squeeze, Clash.
ooh, yeah - Squeeze - I love Squeeze! I never quite thought of them as a band you'd go to see perform live though.

I would love to see Journey live with Steve Perry - accept no substitutions! :!)

I have seen some great bands play~
U2 (absolutely excellent)
Pink Floyd (Vancouver BC 94)
Grateful Dead -many times :bugeye:
G'n'R (i was not impressed)
Metallica (good live, but i don't care for their more recent stuff)
Radiohead (highly recommend)
Interpol (hardly worth mentioning, they sucked)
Tool ( )
Depeche Mode (their live show shakes off the depressed stigma they have)
NIN with David Bowie (Bowie was bodacious)
various others...

Who I truly want to see still is The Mars Volta. Wished I could have seen Zeppelin in concert once, but I am just a little bit too young :grumpy:

I was really ticked off to find out that I missed Jethro Tull in Portland.

The biggest band that I ever saw was The Stones in...gulp...'77.

The Archies.

Oh, wait a minute...:redface:

Kerrie said:
Tool ( )

Who I truly want to see still is The Mars Volta. Wished I could have seen Zeppelin in concert once, but I am just a little bit too young :grumpy:

I'm even more unimaginably jealous now . What were Tool like live?

Mars Volta would be great live I reckon. They played at a festival I was at just before they got big, but I'd not heard of them at the time so I gave them a miss. I regret it now.

-Job- said:
By the way, whoever mentioned the Pixies, they've very recently reunited and went on tour, so you may have missed your chance, way to go.

Yeah, me, matthyiouererw and icvotria saw them together! Hooray!

Ooh, and I believe The Mars Volta are touring the UK soon. I don't care cos I'm going to see Ben Folds again! Yay!

Kerrie said:
I have seen some great bands play~
U2 (absolutely excellent)
Pink Floyd (Vancouver BC 94)
Grateful Dead -many times :bugeye:
G'n'R (i was not impressed)
Metallica (good live, but i don't care for their more recent stuff)
Interpol (hardly worth mentioning, they sucked)
Tool ( )
Depeche Mode (their live show shakes off the depressed stigma they have)
NIN with David Bowie (Bowie was bodacious)
various others...

I saw Metallica on their 'Justice For All' tour in Glasgow. They were awesome. The instrumental 'To live is die' is my best memory, it was amazing. I agree that their new stuff is highly dissapointing. In my view they sold out. I think Cliff Burton would be very unhappy if he were around. RIP Cliff.