What's the Quickest Way to Integrate this Formidable Vector Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a vector function over the exterior of a sphere using spherical polar coordinates. A clever method is proposed, involving writing the vector function in terms of spherical harmonics and using orthogonality relations to simplify the integration. However, it is uncertain if this method is more efficient than the straightforward approach.
fluxions
Suppose [itex] \vec{M}, \vec{P} [/itex] are arbitrary, constant vectors, and [itex] \hat{r} [/itex] is the (unit) position vector in spherical polar coordinates.

I need to integrate the vector function [itex]\frac{1}{r^6}[\hat{r} \times ((\vec{P}\cdot \hat{r})\vec{M} - ((\vec{M} \cdot \hat{r})\vec{P})] [/itex] over the entire exterior of the sphere of radius R centered at the origin of coordinates. In other words, I need to compute:

[tex]
\int_{\phi = 0}^{2\pi} \int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi} \int_{r = R}^{\infty} \frac{1}{r^4}[\hat{r} \times ((\vec{P}\cdot \hat{r})\vec{M} - ((\vec{M} \cdot \hat{r})\vec{P})] sin\theta dr d\theta d \phi
[/tex]

I'm looking for a cute and clever way to do this, instead of the straightforward and tedious method. Any ideas or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
The slickest way to do this is to write

[tex]
[r \times ((\vec{P}\cdot r)\vec{M} - ((\vec{M} \cdot r)\vec{P})]_i = \sum_{jklmn} \epsilon_{ijk} r_j r_l P_m M_n ( \delta_{lm}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{ln}\delta_{km} )
[/tex]

and write the [tex]r_i[/tex] in terms of spherical harmonics:

[tex] \frac{r_1}{r} = - \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{3}} \left( Y_1^1 + Y_1^{-1} \right),[/tex]

[tex] \frac{r_2}{r} = i \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{3}} \left( Y_1^1 - Y_1^{-1} \right),[/tex]

[tex] \frac{r_3}{r} = 2 \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{3}} Y_1^0 .[/tex]

The angular integration is done using the orthogonality relations and gives you a matrix [tex]Q_{jl}[/tex] that you then have to sum over. Whether it saves that much work over brute force is to be determined.

1. What is a formidable vector integral?

A formidable vector integral is an integral that involves the integration of a vector-valued function over a certain domain. It is a powerful tool in mathematical physics and engineering, as it allows for the calculation of important physical quantities such as work, energy, and momentum.

2. How is a formidable vector integral different from a regular integral?

A formidable vector integral differs from a regular integral in that it deals with vector-valued functions, rather than scalar functions. This means that the result of the integral is a vector, rather than a single numerical value.

3. What are some real-life applications of formidable vector integrals?

Formidable vector integrals have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, they are used to calculate important quantities such as work, energy, and momentum. In engineering, they are used in the design of structures and machines. In economics, they are used to model and analyze complex systems.

4. What are some techniques for solving formidable vector integrals?

There are several techniques for solving formidable vector integrals, including the use of vector calculus identities, change of variables, and integration by parts. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of vector operations and properties.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when working with formidable vector integrals?

One of the main challenges when working with formidable vector integrals is the complexity of the mathematical expressions involved. It can also be difficult to visualize vector functions and their integrals in higher dimensions. Additionally, the choice of coordinate system can greatly affect the difficulty of solving a formidable vector integral.