1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forming basis of R^3

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    i have a question im trying to work but im not sure how to do it. i'm given 4 dirrerent answers to choose from (i wont post them because i want to try them myself)

Only one of the following 4 sets of vectors forms a basis of R3.
    Explain which one is, and why, and explain why each of the other sets do not form a
    basis.

S = {(1,1,1), (-2,1,1), (-1,2,2)}

This one is not because it cannot be expressed as a linear combination right??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2
    S is not a basis for R^3 because it is not linearly independent.

4. Sep 13, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because what "cannot be expressed as a linear combination"?
    Grammatically, the "it" in your sentence must refer to "this one", meaning the set of vectors- but it doesn't make sense to talk about expressing a set of vectors as a linear combination of anything.

It is true that S is not a basis for R3 because one of the vectors in S can be expressed as a linear combination of the other two. For example, (1, 1, 1)= -1(-2, 1, 1)+ 1(-1, 2, 2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?