Finding the Formula for a Sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the formula for the general term of a sequence, specifically one that consists of alternating 1's and 0's. The conversation suggests using either sin(n pi/2) or (-1)n to achieve this pattern, with slight modifications to account for starting with either n = 1 or n = 0. It is noted that finding the formula for a sequence often involves subjective judgement and experience.
Ayesh
I just wanted to know if anybody had a trick to find the formula for the general term of a sequence.

I can find some without troubles. But other like 1,0,1,0,1,0... I don't know how to find them.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ayesh said:
I just wanted to know if anybody had a trick to find the formula for the general term of a sequence.

I can find some without troubles. But other like 1,0,1,0,1,0... I don't know how to find them.

Thank you!

Of course you know that technically, the next term could be anything and the first few terms of a sequence never determines a pattern. So these questions always involve a subjective judgement or guess what the author intends. In this case one suspects the described sequence is to consist of alternating 1's and 0's. It is more a matter of experience than anything to come up with a formula. This might suggest sin(n pi/2) for n = 1,2,..., which gives:

1 0 -1 0 1...

Not quite it. Put absolute values on it: |sin (n pi/2)|:

1 0 1 0 ... works.

Another thing you might think of is using (-1)n, which alternates the sign:

-1 1 -1 1 -1 1...

Try adding 1 to it: 1 + (-1)n: 0 2 0 2 0 2...

Close. Divide it by 2: (1 + (-1)n)/2: 0 2 0 2 0 2 if you start with n = 1. So start with n = 0.

Each problem presents its own challenges.

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term.

What is a formula for a sequence?

A formula for a sequence is a mathematical expression that can be used to find any term in the sequence. It typically involves one or more variables that represent the position of the term in the sequence.

How do you find the formula for a sequence?

To find the formula for a sequence, you first need to observe the pattern or rule that the numbers or objects in the sequence follow. Then, you can use this information to create a mathematical expression or equation that can be used to find any term in the sequence.

Why is it important to find the formula for a sequence?

Finding the formula for a sequence allows us to predict and calculate any term in the sequence without having to list out all the terms. It also helps us understand the underlying pattern or rule of the sequence.

What are some common types of sequences?

Some common types of sequences include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and Fibonacci sequences. These sequences follow specific patterns or rules that can be described using a formula.