Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula / equations required

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    I am building an list of formula and equation for use by Mechanical Engineering students in their Lab work, can anyone help me to build the list.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just compiling a list of equtions is useless. Students need to understand the theory behind the equations, assumptions made, and how they are used. By the time you do all of that, you've written an entire set of textbooks.
  4. May 13, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

What lab specifically? There are literally thousands of equations we deal with.
  5. May 14, 2008 #4
    I run a free online website where I have converted several formula and equations related to mechanical engineering, I want to add more, I see many students in the under developed nation use in their lab and would like to see more.

I am an software engineer, thus I need physical equation for formula as inputs, so I can convert into free wares.

Send me the most useful formulas and equations used in fluid mech, hydraulics, flow, dynamics, etc..
  6. May 14, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about picking up a textbook, then there's no ambiguity?
  7. May 15, 2008 #6
    i would like people to select the toughest ones kindly suggest
  8. May 15, 2008 #7

Science Advisor

What good is that going to do you? OK. Here's a toughie...the Navier-Stokes Equations. Now what? If you look at any other web site out there that does this for us, they have taken the time to amass information they feel is beneficial to engineers and students. You need your site to be useful, not just a place that lists equations.
  9. May 23, 2008 #8
    I agree... what you are after is pointless. hahahaha Navier-Stokes (James shudders)

Sometimes a list of equations might be useful, but only if they are simple, perhaps like Newton's equations of motion. But if you we to get into things like the Colebrook-White formula for pipe friction losses that contain constants and variables that require other formulae to work out, it will be completely useless.

If you want a general list... keep it simple, and keep it relevant to what you are doing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?