Formula for a summation

In summary: This is a well-known formula.In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a formula for a summation with a variable upper limit and the possibility of approximating it with known formulas for harmonic numbers. The conversation also includes examples of summation formulas and their application to finding the sum of a series of numbers.
mech-eng
Homework Statement
I wonder if there is a formula for this summation: ##\sum_{n=1}^5= \frac 1n##
Relevant Equations
I know some formulas for summations but I don't know any formula for this case

##\sum_{k=1}^n=\frac{n({n+1})}2##
I look though some algebra and calculus books but I didn't see any formula for this some, and I am stuck here. I can just represent it in a notation but I cannot think a formulation to obtain the result.

##\sum_{k=1}^{n=5}=\frac {n!}{n!k} ##

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
I look though some algebra and calculus books but I didn't see any formula for this some, and I am stuck here. I can just represent it in a notation but I cannot think a formulation to obtain the result.

##\sum_{k=1}^{n=5}=\frac{n!}{n!k} ##

Thank you.

Since you have a simple sum of 5 numbers, what is preventing you from just doing the addition? Admittedly, you need to find a common denominator, but that should not be too hard.

In general, there is no known "closed-form" formula for the so-called harmonic number, defined as
$$H(n) = \sum_{k=1}^n \frac 1 k $$
However, there are simple approximate formulas whose performance becomes better as ##n## becomes larger.

Ray Vickson said:
Since you have a simple sum of 5 numbers, what is preventing you from just doing the addition?

It was just an example. Sum might be 20 or 30 numbers. Yes with just 5 numbers it is very easy and the common denominator could be 5!. Is that called an ##\textrm {harmonic sum}##?

Meanwhile would you also explain why my fraction line does not appear in my post the first post? What is wrong with my latex code?

Thanks

Maybe a way of double-checking if the formula is right is using the fact that it is known that the sum will never be an integer.

mech-eng said:
I wonder if there is a formula for this summation: ##\sum_{n=1}^5= \frac 1n##
I know some formulas for summations but I don't know any formula for this case

##\sum_{k=1}^n=\frac{n({n+1})}2##

##\sum_{k=1}^{n=5}=\frac {n!}{n!k} ##
None of your equations makes any sense, since you aren't including that thing being summed.
It's as if you asked someone to evaluate this integral: ##\int_1^5##.

Is the first summation supposed to be ##\sum_{n=1}^5 \frac 1n##? If so, I don't know of any formula, but it's pretty easy to add the five fractions.

For your second equation, it looks like what you meant is ##\sum_{k=1}^n k =\frac{n({n+1})}2##, the sum of the first k positive integers.

What is the formula for a summation?

The formula for a summation is: i=1n xi, where i represents the index, n is the number of terms, and xi is the value of each term.

How do I calculate a summation?

To calculate a summation, you need to first determine the number of terms in the series. Then, substitute the values of each term into the formula i=1n xi and perform the necessary operations to find the sum.

What is the purpose of a summation formula?

The purpose of a summation formula is to provide a concise and systematic way to add a large number of terms in a series. It allows for efficient calculation and representation of mathematical concepts and patterns.

Can a summation formula be used for infinite series?

No, a summation formula can only be used for finite series. For infinite series, other methods such as limits and convergence tests are used to determine the sum.

Are there different types of summation formulas?

Yes, there are different types of summation formulas such as arithmetic series, geometric series, and telescoping series. Each type has its own specific formula for finding the sum of the series.