Formula for allocation of server capacity

In summary: To allocate a cost to each user, Nick suggests editing /etc/security/limits.conf on a Unix or Linux system. This file allows the user to set a certain amount of resources that they are allowed to use.
Nick Curtis
:grumpy: Can anyone help? I have an interesting issue. I've chosen to study maths and computer science and one of the problems I've been asked to solve, potentially using a 3D Modeling formula is:

In a Shared Server environment, where total capacity of a server is measured by total CPU capacity, total disk capacity and total memory capacity, I need a formula to help me understand how much each user is requesting of the total capacity.

By example:
On a single server total CPU is 2.88 Ghz, 16Gb Memory and 146Gb of Disk Space.
I have a user who only wants to use 1Ghz CPU, 2Gb Mem and 2Gb of Disk Space. What formula can I use that tells me what percentage of the total capacity of the machine this person is requiring?

thanks for any help
Nick

Computer science news on Phys.org
Now I don't know what operating system your using, but you can do what you want VERY easily in Linux and Unix. All you have to do is edit /etc/security/limits.conf

In this file you tell it exactly how much resources a user can have and what priority they get it at.

I would suggest doing research on this file and see how you want to set it up.

Last edited:
Thanks

The point is I'm trying to allocate a cost to each user, of the overall server cost, before they go live. Therefore there isn't any data to collect usage figures against. Even if there was I need to charge them before they use the box. Therefore I have to understand what allocation they are requesting.

cheers

Why is it so difficult to allocate a cost to each user? Just put a price per Mhz or per GB that the user would be willing to pay and just add up the totals. The pricing should also be according to which resource is more valuable. For example hard drives space is very cheap compared to CPU speed.

Well the way the question is phrased seems pretty odd. What exactly is a "shared server enviroment". Do they mean just a multitasking OS? Also, what exactly is meant by cost. Do they just want a percentage? So if you use 2 Gb of memory and their are 8 Gb total, you are using 25%?

Division of CPU time is certainly not measured in Ghz usage. You don't "use up" clock frequency. If the processor is running at 2.2 Ghz, it doesn't matter if its doing nothing, its always going to running at 2.2 Ghz. Processes are allocated small time slices. On certain operating systems such as Linux, you can tell a process to be "nice" and not request all the time available. Look up the Linux command nice if you have it installed. I'm not familiar of a way to do this in Windows.

1. What is the formula for allocating server capacity?

The formula for allocating server capacity is typically determined by taking into account various factors such as the usage patterns of the server, the number of users or requests, and the amount of resources required by each function or application running on the server. It is important to regularly assess and adjust this formula to ensure efficient use of resources and optimal performance.

2. How do you determine the server capacity needed?

The server capacity needed is determined by analyzing the current and projected usage patterns, as well as the resources required by each function or application running on the server. This can be done through monitoring and data analysis, as well as consulting with IT and other relevant departments to understand their needs and requirements.

3. What factors should be considered when allocating server capacity?

Some factors that should be considered when allocating server capacity include the type of applications or functions running on the server, the number of users or requests, the amount of data being processed, and the expected growth in usage over time. It is also important to consider any potential bottlenecks or performance issues that may arise.

4. How often should the formula for server capacity allocation be reviewed?

The formula for server capacity allocation should be regularly reviewed and adjusted as needed. This could be done on a monthly or quarterly basis, depending on the rate of usage and growth of the server. It is important to monitor and track usage patterns and adjust the formula accordingly to ensure optimal performance and resource allocation.

5. What are some best practices for allocating server capacity?

Some best practices for allocating server capacity include regularly monitoring and analyzing usage patterns, consulting with relevant departments to understand their needs, regularly reviewing and adjusting the formula, and considering potential bottlenecks or performance issues. It is also important to have a contingency plan in case of unexpected spikes in usage or other issues that may affect server capacity.