Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for Compound Interest

1. Jan 28, 2006 #1
    Hello, I wanted to know is there a formula for compound interest when making additional payments. i.e. I make payments of $500 ever year for 5 years and NOT just $2500 once for the 5 year term.

The current way I am calculating the result is using Compound Interest of initial payment for one year, then use that value as the new payment plus $500 for one year. I continue until 5 years have been reached. Is there a simplier and probably correct way to do this?

Thank you,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can look up "annuity", but you can derive the formula you need if you know a little about geometric series.

Suppose your money grows by r per year, that is you have 500*r a year after your first payment. After 5 years, this first payment becomes 500*r^5. The second payment accumulates 4 years of interest is now at 500*r^4, and so on. At the end of 5 years (and 5 payments total) you have:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?