How Does Heat Transfer Affect Entropy Between the Sun and Earth?

In summary, the total entropy change can be calculated using the formula \Delta S = \Delta Q(\frac{1}{T_{earth}} - \frac{1}{T_{sun}}), where \Delta Q is the amount of heat transferred and T_{earth} and T_{sun} are the temperatures of the earth and sun, respectively. Using this formula, the correct answer to the given question is d. 3.97 J/K.
pkossak
The surface of the Sun is at approximately 5700 K and the temperature of the Earth's surface is about 290 K. What total entropy change occurs when 1000 J of heat energy is transferred from the sun to the earth?
a. 2.89 J/K b. 3.27 J/K c. 3.62 J/K d. 3.97 J/K

I don't know what formula to use. I tried heat transfer

deltaS = mcln(T/(T+deltaT))

but I don't know know what to use for mc?! Pretty confused. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking for simply answers, I want to understand it. Exam coming up. Thanks a ton if you can help! Also, some please look at my other post - Ideal Gas.

The forumula that you would want to use is Gibb's Free Energy Equation. deltaG = Heat of Formation - (TdeltaS) then with a little calculus you can reach the forumula S = e^-deltaG/RT and don't forget to change to the correct units.

pkossak said:
anyone? I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking for simply answers, I want to understand it. Exam coming up. Thanks a ton if you can help! Also, some please look at my other post - Ideal Gas.
Entropy is the ratio of heat flow to temperature. If the flow all occurs at an arbitrarily small difference in temperature (ie reversibly as in the Carnot cycle) the entropy of the outflow is equal to the entropy of the inflow and there is no net change in entropy. When heat flows from a hot object to a cooler one (ie. non-reversibly), there is a change in entropy. So entropy is seen as a useful measure of the reversibility of the flow (or of the amount of work required to reverse the flow).

The entropy change (loss) of the sun is [itex]\Delta S_{sun} = -\Delta Q/T_{sun}[/itex]. The gain in entropy of the Earth is [itex]\Delta S_{earth} = +\Delta Q/T_{earth}[/itex]

So, the total change in entropy is:

[tex]\Delta S = \Delta S_{earth} + \Delta S_{sun} = \Delta Q(\frac{1}{T_{earth}} - \frac{1}{T_{sun}})[/tex]

Work that out and you will have the answer.

AM

1. What is the formula for heat transfer?

The formula for heat transfer is Q = mcΔT, where Q represents the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred through three processes: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer can be affected by multiple factors, including the temperature difference between two objects, the surface area of contact, the type of material, and the distance between the objects.

4. How can I calculate heat transfer in a specific situation?

To calculate heat transfer in a specific situation, you can use the formula Q = mcΔT and plug in the values for mass, specific heat capacity, and change in temperature. You may need to account for any additional factors that may affect heat transfer, such as insulation or air flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of the formula for heat transfer?

The formula for heat transfer is used in various real-world applications, such as designing heating and cooling systems for buildings, calculating the efficiency of engines, and understanding the effects of climate change on the Earth's temperature. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage production, where precise temperature control is necessary for safety and quality.