Calculating Inertia for Changing Speed Engines Connecting Rod

In summary, the conversation is about calculating for the inertia of a section of an engine's connecting rod that is constantly changing speed. The speaker has seen different formulas for inertia and is looking for the correct one that takes into account the changing speed. They mention that the inertia should be against the change in speed and ask for help in finding the correct formula. Another person responds that if the con rod is treated as a rigid body, the MMOI is simply a constant and changing speed has no impact on its value. The original speaker mentions a possible formula that includes velocity, but it is not clear if that is the correct one. The conversation ends with the advice that energy and inertia are different concepts and it is difficult to help without knowing exactly what
jaguar57
Calculating for a section of an engines connecting rod that is always changing speed
I have seen different formulas for inertia. Must be different types.
Since it is changing speed I guess I am looking for the inertia that is against that change.
any help is much appreciated. I know ya'll get a lot of questions on this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you are treating the con rod as a rigid body, the MMOI is simply a constant, the integral of r^2 dm. Changing speed has no impact on the MMOI value.

I think maybe the formula I need is the one that includes velocity which is
KE= .5 x kg x velocity^2

Energy an inertia are different things. We can't tell what you need.

Likes Dr.D
If you don't know what you need, it will be very difficult for anyone else to help you because we don't know either.

What is inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change the velocity of an object or to make it stop moving.

How do you calculate inertia?

Inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

What is the purpose of calculating inertia for changing speed engines connecting rod?

Calculating inertia for a changing speed engine connecting rod is important for designing and optimizing the performance of the engine. It helps determine the amount of force needed to move the connecting rod and the energy required to accelerate or decelerate the engine.

How does changing speed affect the inertia of an engine connecting rod?

Changing the speed of an engine will affect the inertia of the connecting rod. As the speed increases, the inertia also increases, and it becomes more difficult to change the motion of the connecting rod.

What factors can affect the inertia of an engine connecting rod?

The inertia of an engine connecting rod can be affected by factors such as the mass of the connecting rod, the speed of the engine, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the connecting rod. Additionally, the shape and design of the connecting rod can also impact its inertia.