How can I calculate the angle of tilt for moon phase at my location?

In summary, The speaker is working on an iPad app that displays live weather data from their home weather station in Hawaii. They are trying to rotate the pictures of the moon phase, but need a formula to calculate the angle of tilt. They are directed to use Napier's Rules and spherical trigonometry to determine the angle at the vertex M, and to find the time of moonrise by setting ZM to 90 degrees and solving for t.
snorkeler
I have an iPad app almost complete that displays live weather data from my home weather station here in Hawaii for community use.

I'm showing a picture of the moon phase, and a UPS freight pilot friend who flies at night pointed out that the conventional vertical phase orientation is inaccurate.

In order to rotate the pictures, I would need a formula to calculate the angle of tilt for our 20° latitude at time of moonrise, and I suppose time of moonrise also. This is outside my area of expertise...can someone point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 4.04.34 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 4.04.34 AM.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
snorkeler, This is going to be a bit messy, but I guess you knew that! I can point you in the right direction, but you will have to fill in the details. You will need to do some spherical trigonometry. The formulas for right spherical triangles are called Napier's Rules, which can be found for example on Wikipedia. Note that in spherical trig, everything is an angle. Even the sides of triangles are angles.

Definitions:
Zenith - the point directly overhead
Meridian - the line on the sky passing through the Zenith and going directly North-South
Ecliptic - the path on the sky followed by moon, sun and planets (approximately).

Ok, the vertices of the triangle are Z = Zenith, M = Moon and E = intersection of Ecliptic and Meridian. First, what is the side ZE? This will vary during the year. In spring and fall at the time of the equinoxes it will be your colatitude, 90 - 20 = 70 degrees. In summer and winter it will differ from this up to 23.5 degrees in either direction, varying sinusoidally.

Second, what is the side EM? This will increase at a constant rate, being 0 when the moon crosses the meridian and going all the way around 360 degrees in a 24-hour period.

Given ZE and EM you can use Napier's rules to calculate the angle at the vertex M, which is the angle of tilt you want.

To find the time of moonrise, set ZM = 90 degrees and solve for t.

1. What is the formula for determining the tilt of the moon's phase?

The formula for determining the tilt of the moon's phase is the arctangent of the ratio between the moon's angular size and its distance from the observer.

2. How is the tilt of the moon's phase related to its position in the sky?

The tilt of the moon's phase is directly related to its position in the sky. When the moon is directly overhead, the tilt will be at 0 degrees, and when it is on the horizon, the tilt will be at 90 degrees.

3. Can the tilt of the moon's phase change over time?

Yes, the tilt of the moon's phase can change over time. This is due to the moon's orbit around the earth, which causes it to appear at different angles in the sky over the course of a month.

4. How does the tilt of the moon's phase affect its appearance?

The tilt of the moon's phase affects its appearance by changing the angle at which the sun's light hits the moon's surface. This creates the different phases of the moon that we see, such as a full moon or a crescent moon.

5. Is there a mathematical equation for predicting the tilt of the moon's phase?

Yes, there is a mathematical equation for predicting the tilt of the moon's phase. It involves using the moon's position in its orbit, its distance from the observer, and the angle of the sun's rays to calculate the tilt at any given time.