1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for the inverse problem

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1
    If [tex]A^2 = 0[/tex], show that [tex]I - A[/tex] is invertible.

So we know that [tex]\det(A^2) = (\det A)^2 = \det 0 \Leftrightarrow \det A = 0[/tex]

We should now show that [tex]\det(I-A) \not= 0[/tex].

But I'm not sure how to do that. Could someone kick me in the right directon?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2
    There's no need for determinants here. There is a very simply formula for the inverse of I - A (when A^2 = 0). Any further hints will practically give away the entire solution, but (I - A)^(-1) "looks" a lot like I - A...
  4. Sep 6, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

forget matrices for one second, think taylor series

what is (1-x)^{-1} as a series expansion when |x|<1?

This can be suitably altered to tell us what the inverse of 1-A is for any A up to some convergence questions. Since A^2=0 these convergence questions vanish entirely as they do if instead of A^2=0 we had A^r=0

obviously since you have been given r=2 i could be using something, talyor series, you've never heard of, and instead you are supposed to use something that, up to making a sign change, is what Muzza said (difference of two squares, anyone?)
  5. Sep 6, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

and you don't have to be clever. try showing I-A has no kernel. this suffices at least in finite dimensions.
  6. Sep 7, 2005 #5

[tex](I-A)^{-1}=(I+A)\text{, since }A^n=A^2\cdot A^{n-2} = 0\cdot A^{n-2}=0[/tex]

[tex](I - A)(I + A) = II + IA - AI - AA = I + A - A - 0 = I[/tex]
    [tex](I + A)(I - A) = II - IA + AI - AA = I - A + A - 0 = I[/tex]

Now when I've solved this problem I would like to see your solutions (if it's different). It's allways good to learn more ways to solve a problem :smile:

mathwonk: exactly what do you mean by 'kernel'?
  7. Sep 7, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "kernel" of a linear transformation (or any function, for that matter) is the subset of the domain that get taken to 0: {x| f(x)= 0}. If a function is invertible, it must be one-to-one and (since for any f a linear transformation, f(0)=0) so the kernel of an invertible linear transformation can only be {0}.
  8. Sep 7, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mathwonk's solution goes a little like this:

suppose that (1-A)x=0, that is x is in the kernel, then that is the same as x=Ax, but now apply A to both sides, what happens? Now, if U and V are zero what is U+V?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?