Formula for the inverse problem

In summary, if A^2 = 0, then (I - A) is invertible and its inverse is (I + A). This can be shown by using the formula for the inverse of I - A and considering the series expansion of (1-x)^(-1) when |x| < 1. We can also show that (I - A) has no kernel, which is necessary for it to be invertible. Another approach is to consider what happens when we apply A to both sides of the equation (1-A)x = 0.
danielI
If [tex]A^2 = 0[/tex], show that [tex]I - A[/tex] is invertible.

So we know that [tex]\det(A^2) = (\det A)^2 = \det 0 \Leftrightarrow \det A = 0[/tex]

We should now show that [tex]\det(I-A) \not= 0[/tex].

But I'm not sure how to do that. Could someone kick me in the right directon?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no need for determinants here. There is a very simply formula for the inverse of I - A (when A^2 = 0). Any further hints will practically give away the entire solution, but (I - A)^(-1) "looks" a lot like I - A...

forget matrices for one second, think taylor series

what is (1-x)^{-1} as a series expansion when |x|<1?

This can be suitably altered to tell us what the inverse of 1-A is for any A up to some convergence questions. Since A^2=0 these convergence questions vanish entirely as they do if instead of A^2=0 we had A^r=0

obviously since you have been given r=2 i could be using something, talyor series, you've never heard of, and instead you are supposed to use something that, up to making a sign change, is what Muzza said (difference of two squares, anyone?)

and you don't have to be clever. try showing I-A has no kernel. this suffices at least in finite dimensions.

http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math101/notes/series/taylor.html

[tex](I-A)^{-1}=(I+A)\text{, since }A^n=A^2\cdot A^{n-2} = 0\cdot A^{n-2}=0[/tex]

[tex](I - A)(I + A) = II + IA - AI - AA = I + A - A - 0 = I[/tex]
[tex](I + A)(I - A) = II - IA + AI - AA = I - A + A - 0 = I[/tex]

Now when I've solved this problem I would like to see your solutions (if it's different). It's allways good to learn more ways to solve a problem :smile:

mathwonk: exactly what do you mean by 'kernel'?

Last edited by a moderator:
The "kernel" of a linear transformation (or any function, for that matter) is the subset of the domain that get taken to 0: {x| f(x)= 0}. If a function is invertible, it must be one-to-one and (since for any f a linear transformation, f(0)=0) so the kernel of an invertible linear transformation can only be {0}.

Mathwonk's solution goes a little like this:

suppose that (1-A)x=0, that is x is in the kernel, then that is the same as x=Ax, but now apply A to both sides, what happens? Now, if U and V are zero what is U+V?

1. What is the formula for the inverse problem?

The formula for the inverse problem is the mathematical equation used to find the unknown inputs or parameters of a system based on the known outputs. It is typically represented as x = f-1(y), where x is the unknown input and y is the known output.

2. How is the inverse problem different from the direct problem?

The inverse problem is the opposite of the direct problem, which involves finding the outputs of a system based on the known inputs. In the inverse problem, we are given the outputs and need to determine the inputs, while in the direct problem, we are given the inputs and need to determine the outputs.

3. What types of systems can be solved using the inverse problem formula?

The inverse problem formula can be used for a wide range of systems, including linear and non-linear systems, as well as deterministic and stochastic systems. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving unknown inputs or parameters.

4. Are there any limitations to the inverse problem formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to the inverse problem formula. It may not be possible to find a unique solution for every system, and in some cases, the solution may not even exist. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the accuracy of the known outputs and the complexity of the system being solved.

5. How is the inverse problem formula applied in real-world scenarios?

The inverse problem formula has many practical applications in various fields. For example, it can be used to determine the properties of materials in materials science, to analyze medical imaging data in healthcare, and to forecast economic trends in finance. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to model and predict complex systems.