Calculate the Lift Force of a 4655-kg Helicopter

In summary, Newton's second law of motion states that the net force on an object is equal to the mass times its acceleration.
badboyben03
can someone give me the formula needed to work this problem?

A 4655-kg helicopter accelerated upward at 8 m/s2. What lift force is exerted by the air on the propellers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's second law of motion.

- Warren

so i should multiply 4655 and 8 together?

Originally posted by badboyben03
so i should multiply 4655 and 8 together?
This is correct -- but, just to make sure you understand why -- can you tell me what Newton's second law of motion says?

- Warren

net force equals the mass and aceleration.

Originally posted by badboyben03
net force equals the mass and aceleration.
What does the word "and" mean? Why did you use that word?

- Warren

cuz the acceleration is proportonal to the magnitude or something of the force. same goes w/ mass.

but some other person is telling me the answer i got is wrong.

Use the word "times" or "multiplied by" rather than "and."

The question is worded a little awkwardly. The lift force is experienced by the aircraft, not by the air.

Now, you know the net force on the aircraft is equal to its mass times its acceleration. What two forces does the aircraft feel? It feels a gravitational force pulling it down, and a lift force pushing it up. The sum of these two forces is equal to its mass * acceleration. Does this make sense?

- Warren

i kinda do. imma have to probably get a tutor. i don't really get what my teacher is saying, but why is the answer I am getting wrong? i got 37240N as the answer.

That is wrong.

Think about it this way: what's the first force felt by the aircraft? Gravity. It pulls the aircraft down. The magnitude of the force is

[tex]F_g = mg[/tex]

What's the second force felt by the aircraft? The lift. This is the force you're asked to find. Call it [itex]F_L[/itex].

What's the sum of the forces? One pulls down, one pushes up -- they are in opposition. They counteract each other. Let's call the upward force positive, and the downward force negative. The net force is:

[tex]\begin{align*}
F_{\textrm{net}} &= F_L - F_g\\
&= ma
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Can you solve for [itex]F_L[/itex] now?

- Warren

ooo yeah i think i can get it now. let me try

82859?

im pretty sure i get the hang of it, thanks. BUT what if all they give me is force? how do i find the acceleration w/o the mass?

1. How do you calculate the lift force of a helicopter?

The lift force of a helicopter can be calculated using the formula F = m x g, where F is the lift force, m is the mass of the helicopter, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the mass of a 4655-kg helicopter?

The mass of a 4655-kg helicopter is given in the question. This value should be substituted for m in the lift force formula to calculate the lift force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for lift force?

The unit of measurement for lift force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg x m/s^2.

4. How does the lift force of a helicopter change with altitude?

The lift force of a helicopter is affected by changes in air density at different altitudes. As the altitude increases, the air density decreases, resulting in a decrease in lift force. This is why helicopters may have a lower maximum altitude compared to airplanes.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the lift force of a helicopter?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the lift force of a helicopter. These include the shape and design of the helicopter's rotor blades, the speed and direction of the rotor blades, and the angle of attack of the blades. Changes in any of these factors can impact the lift force and the overall performance of the helicopter.