Finding the Missing Projectile Motion Formulas

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with six projectile motion formulas, but they only have two and need the remaining four. They also mention that they weren't sure if this counted as homework and thank someone for moving their thread to the correct forum. The conversation also references a Wikipedia article on the equations of motion.
Ripcurl
I wasn't really sure if this counted as homework because I need them in order to solve my homework problems, but since they're not my homework I'm putting them here.

I need the six projectile motion formulas. I have

∆y=Viy∆t-1/2g∆t^2 (t squared)
∆x=Vix∆t

I need the other four. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks!:tongue:

-Ripcurl♥

Physics news on Phys.org
Ripcurl said:
I wasn't really sure if this counted as homework because I need them in order to solve my homework problems, but since they're not my homework I'm putting them here.

I need the six projectile motion formulas. I have

∆y=Viy∆t-1/2g∆t^2 (t squared)
∆x=Vix∆t

I need the other four. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks!:tongue:

-Ripcurl♥

Yeah, schoolwork questions go in the Homework Help forums, so I moved your thread.

By projectile motions equations, I assume you mean the Kinetic Equations of Motion. Here is a link to the wikipedia introductory article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

I understand the importance of having all necessary formulas in order to accurately solve problems and make predictions. Projectile motion is a fundamental concept in physics, and it is crucial to have a complete understanding of the formulas involved in order to fully grasp this concept.

In addition to the two formulas you have provided, there are four more formulas that are commonly used in projectile motion calculations. They are:

1. Vf = Vi + at
This formula represents the final velocity (Vf) of a projectile, which is equal to the initial velocity (Vi) plus the acceleration (a) multiplied by the time (t).

2. Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
This formula is known as the velocity-time equation, and it relates the final velocity (Vf) of a projectile to its initial velocity (Vi), acceleration (a), and displacement (d).

3. ∆y = Viy∆t + 1/2ay∆t^2
Similar to the first formula you provided, this one calculates the vertical displacement (∆y) of a projectile using its initial vertical velocity (Viy), time (t), and acceleration due to gravity (g).

4. Range = (Vi^2sin2θ)/g
This formula is used to calculate the horizontal range of a projectile, which is the distance it travels in the horizontal direction before hitting the ground. It takes into account the initial velocity (Vi), the angle of launch (θ), and the acceleration due to gravity (g).

I hope these additional formulas will help you in your studies and make your calculations more accurate. I encourage you to continue seeking knowledge and understanding in the field of projectile motion and other areas of physics. Keep up the curious and dedicated attitude towards learning and you will surely succeed. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. Why are projectile motion formulas important?

Projectile motion formulas are important because they allow us to calculate the trajectory, velocity, and other important parameters of a projectile's motion. This information can be used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.

3. What are the basic projectile motion formulas?

The basic projectile motion formulas include the horizontal velocity formula (Vx = Vcosθ), vertical velocity formula (Vy = Vsinθ - gt), horizontal displacement formula (dx = Vx · t), vertical displacement formula (dy = Vy · t - 0.5gt²), and time of flight formula (t = 2Vsinθ / g).

4. How do you find the missing projectile motion formulas?

To find the missing projectile motion formulas, you can use the basic formulas and rearrange them to solve for the desired variable. You can also use the kinematic equations of motion, which are derived from the basic formulas.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion formulas?

Projectile motion formulas have a wide range of real-life applications, including predicting the trajectory of a basketball shot, calculating the launch angle of a rocket, and determining the optimum angle for a golf swing. They are also used in designing amusement park rides, studying the flight of projectiles in warfare, and analyzing the motion of objects in space.