Calculating Gravitational Attraction: Solving for the Answer

Rightarrow 2.7 \times 10^{-8} NIn summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula F=Gm1m2/r to calculate gravitational attraction between two objects. The correct formula includes a squared distance term in the denominator. By plugging in the given numbers, the answer is 2.7*10^-8 N. However, the person is still unsure of how to use the formula to solve the problem.
Jimsac
Here is the ex. in the book. Two 3.kg textbooks are .15 apart. What is the gravitational attraction?
The answer is given 2.7*10-8
I also know the formula is F=Gm1m2/r
I just do not understand what they are doing to get the answer.

(6.67*10-11 N-m2kg2)(3.kg)(3.kg)/.15
This is the formula I am trying to use

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's
[tex]F=\frac{m_1m_2G}{r^2}[/tex]
distance squared.

I know the formula I do not understand how to solve it

Jimsac said:
I know the formula I do not understand how to solve it

Look closer. Your formula is wrong, and Nate's is right (note the "r2" in the denominator).

misunderstood

What I do not understand is what to do with the formula. How do you solve this problem? THis is just an example in the book with the answer given but I do not understand what to do with the formula to solve it. Sorry

Plug in the numbers:
[tex]F=\frac{m_1m_2G}{r^2} \Rightarrow \frac{3 \times 3 \times (6.67 \times 10^{-11})}{0.15^2}[/tex]

1. How do you calculate gravitational attraction between two objects?

The formula for calculating gravitational attraction between two objects is F=G(m1m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational attraction?

The unit of measurement for gravitational attraction is Newtons (N).

3. Can gravitational attraction be negative?

Yes, gravitational attraction can be negative if the two objects have opposite charges. In this case, the force of attraction would be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect gravitational attraction?

The gravitational attraction between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force of attraction decreases.

5. Is gravitational attraction affected by the masses of the two objects?

Yes, the force of gravitational attraction increases as the masses of the two objects increase. The stronger the gravitational pull, the greater the force of attraction between the objects.