1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula is C10H14

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1
    This should be easy, but I am missing something.

5 hydrogens at 7 ppm seeing what appears to be an overlap of several
    1 hydrogen at 2.5 ppm seeiing 5
    2 hydrogen at 1.5 ppm seeing 4
    3 hydrogen at 1.23 ppm seeing 1
    3 hydrogen at .75ppm seeing 2

The formula is C10H14

It appears I have a benzene ring but I am unable to get the side chain, which I am asumming there is only 1 and with the 3 seeing 2 and 2 seeing 3, there should be a CH2CH3.

Thanks
    nautica

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello,

Your notation is not familiar with me, but I will try to predict the formula from your data.

1) The 7-ppm-centered peak system is due to a benzene ring, a plain phenyl substituent causes a characteristic multiplet. So we have a C6H5 for now.

2) A pentet at 2,5 ppm (I think you want to mean this by saying "seeing 5") having one proton means there is a branching CH group, one methyl and one ethyl; a total of five protons seen with only one proton on hand is possible this way.

3) A quartet at 1,5 ppm having two protons indicate a CH2-CH3 group (on the left).

4) A singlet peak at 1,23 ppm with three protons clearly shows that this group is a CH3.

5) A doublet at 0,75 ppm with three protons is indicative of CH2-CH3 group (on the right).

So the molecule you are seeking is methylcumene, C6H5-CH(CH3)-CH2-CH3, which can far more easily seen from the attachment .zip file containing a tif image file.

Regards
    chem_tr

4. Aug 31, 2004 #3
    Great, thanks. That is what I had drawn, but for some reason it seemed like something wasn't right.

thanks again
    nautica

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?