Solving Formula Manipulation Problem: Block B Strikes Floor at t1

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a string of constant length 4h and a tabletop with negligible friction. One block is placed on the tabletop, while the other hangs over the edge and is released from rest at a distance h above the floor. The goal is to determine the time t1 at which the hanging block strikes the floor. The known answer is t1=2√(h/g). The attempted work involves using the equation d=1/2gt^2 to find t, but neglects to consider the upward force of tension. The correct answer is t=2√(h/g), and the lessons learned are to double check math, read the problem carefully, and avoid working problems when tired.
Lucretius
I am trying to manipulate a formula to get a known answer — only I am not getting it:

The necessary information: Two small blocks, each of mass m, are connected by a string of constant length 4h, with negligible mass. Block A is placed on a smooth tabletop (no friction), and block B hangs over the edge of the table. The tabletop is a distance 2h above the floor. Block B is then released from rest at a distance h above the floor at T=0. Express all algebraic answers in terms of h, m, and g.

On to the problem I am stuck on: Block B strikes the floor and does not bounce. Determine the time t1 at which block B strikes the floor.

Now, the known answer is [tex]t_1=2\sqrt\frac{h}{g}[/tex]

My attempted work goes as follows: I begin with the equation [itex]d=\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex] (falling body), getting [itex]t^2[/itex] by itself, I end up with the equation:

[tex]t^2=\frac{h}{.5g}[/tex]

taking the square root of both sides then, I get

[tex]t=\sqrt\frac{h}{.5g}[/tex]

If I got the steps right so far, I am completely at a loss as to what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting that the falling mass is pulling the mass on the table, thus your equation of motion of the falling mass is missing an upward force.

What would this upwards force be? Tension? Block B's falling acceleration is [itex]\frac{g}{2}[/itex]

Instead of [itex]d=\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex], the formula would then become [itex]d=\frac{1}{4}gt^2[/itex] and later [itex]t=\frac{h}{.5g}[/itex]right? I still don't know how the 2 ends up outside of the square root.

I'm baffled. I came up with different answer than either of the ones you mentioned. Two questions:

1. How do you know the answer is [itex]t_1=2\sqrt{\frac{h}{g}}[/itex]? I got [itex]t_1=2\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex]. Could there be a typo in the answer?

2. Since this is a high school section, what concepts are you working with?
- Free body diagrams?
- Equations of motion? (e.g. F=ma)
- Energy equations? (e.g. sum of potential energy + kinetic energy, etc.)

Just want to know what level of dialog is appropriate.

hotvette, you are wrong. I think you should re-check your calculation. I think there's nothing wrong with the answer.
Lucretius, yes, block B's acceleration is g / 2. But there's a slight error in your arrangement:
[tex]\frac{1}{4}gt ^ 2 = h[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow t ^ 2 = \frac{4h}{g}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow t = \pm \sqrt{\frac{4h}{g}} = \pm 2\sqrt{\frac{h}{g}}[/tex]
Since t must be greater than 0. So you just choose:
[tex]t = 2\sqrt{\frac{h}{g}}[/tex]
Viet Dao,

Don't think so. I also got the acceleration = g/2. The answer is correct if the distance is h, which it isn't. The distance is 2h.

[tex]t_2 = \frac{4x}{g} = \frac{4*2h}{g} = \frac{8h}{g}[/tex]

Last edited:
hotvette said:
Don't think so. I also got the acceleration = g/2. The answer is correct if the distance is h, which it isn't. The distance is 2h.
Why can't the distance be h? You should re-read the problem. :wink:
Lucretius said:
... Block B is then released from rest at a distance h above the floor at T=0. Express all algebraic answers in terms of h, m, and g.
So is the answer the book provided right, then? :smile:
Viet Dao,

Absolutely right, I missed it! Too late at night for me I guess. The right answer is indeed:

[tex]t = 2\sqrt{\frac{h}{g}}[/tex]

So, what are the lessons here? I can think of 3:

1. Double check your math
2. Read the problem carefully
3. If you can, avoid working problems when you are tired

Last edited:

What is a formula manipulation problem?

A formula manipulation problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves rearranging and solving equations to find the value of a variable. These problems often require knowledge of algebraic principles and the use of mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is Block B Strikes Floor at t1?

Block B Strikes Floor at t1 refers to a specific scenario in which a block is dropped from a certain height and strikes the floor at a specific time, t1. This scenario can be used to create a formula manipulation problem that can be solved to find the height from which the block was dropped or the time it took for the block to fall.

How do you solve a formula manipulation problem involving Block B Strikes Floor at t1?

To solve a formula manipulation problem involving Block B Strikes Floor at t1, you will need to use the given information and equations to manipulate and solve for the desired variable. This may involve using formulas such as the equation for distance traveled by an object in free fall or the equation for the time it takes for an object to fall a certain distance.

What are some tips for solving formula manipulation problems?

Some tips for solving formula manipulation problems include carefully reading and understanding the given information, identifying the variables and equations involved, and using algebraic principles to manipulate the equations and solve for the desired variable. It can also be helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

What are some real-life applications of solving formula manipulation problems?

Solving formula manipulation problems has many real-life applications, such as calculating distances or times in physics and engineering, finding the cost or profits in business and finance, and determining dosages or concentrations in chemistry and medicine. These types of problems can also be used to model and predict various scenarios and outcomes in different fields.