Calculating Resistance in Prototype Boat using Formula of Force

In summary: The author discusses how a model boat 1/100th the size of its prototype has 0.12N of resistance when stimulated with a speed of 5 m/s of the prototype. The corresponding resistance in the prototype is water, which is the fluid in both cases. Frictional forces can be neglected because they are small in comparison to the other forces. The author tries to find the mass of water displaced in time t by using (rho)(L^3), but fails because they do not know the mass of water.
welovephysics

Homework Statement

A model boat 1/100 size of its prototype has 0.12N of resistance when stimulating a speed of 5m/s of the prototype , what is the corresponding resistance in the prototype ? water is the fluid in both cases and frictional forces can be neglected.
Why the author need to transform the force into ρ(L^2)(v^2) ?
I know the unit of force is kg(m)(s^-2) , so , IMO , F is directly proportional to L only , right . but , not (L^3)
Fr = Fp / Fm
iqbzhu9.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
welovephysics said:
Why the author need to transform the force into ρ(L^2)(v^2) ?
I know the unit of force is kg(m)(s^-2) ,
That's for an accelerating mass, the mass being constant. Here, it's the water that is being moved, and the mass of that is related to the cross-sectional area (L2) and the velocity.

haruspex said:
That's for an accelerating mass, the mass being constant. Here, it's the water that is being moved, and the mass of that is related to the cross-sectional area (L2) and the velocity.
since we do not know the mass of water ( we only know the density of water) , so we use (rho)(L^3 ) to find the mass of water ?

welovephysics said:
since we do not know the mass of water ( we only know the density of water) , so we use (rho)(L^3 ) to find the mass of water ?
That would be true if we were considering a cube of water of side L, but L is the characteristic dimension of the model/prototype. How does the mass of water displaced in time t relate to L, t, ρ and v?

Likes welovephysics
haruspex said:
That would be true if we were considering a cube of water of side L, but L is the characteristic dimension of the model/prototype. How does the mass of water displaced in time t relate to L, t, ρ and v?
ρ(L^3) [(L) / (T^-2) ] , which is ρ(L^3)v what are you trying to say ?

welovephysics said:
ρ(L^3) [(L) / (T^-2) ] , which is ρ(L^3)v what are you trying to say ?
No, that's not it. The object moves at speed v. Think of it as a box of side L. What volume of water has to move aside to make way for it in time t?

Likes welovephysics
haruspex said:
No, that's not it. The object moves at speed v. Think of it as a box of side L. What volume of water has to move aside to make way for it in time t?
L^3 ?
i don't really understand what you are trying to say , can you explain further ??

welovephysics said:
L^3 ?
i don't really understand what you are trying to say , can you explain further ??
How far does the box move in time t? What volume does the leading face of the box sweep through as the box advances that distance?

haruspex said:
How far does the box move in time t? What volume does the leading face of the box sweep through as the box advances that distance?
the box will move by L in time , t , am i right ? the volume that the leading face of the box sweep through as the box advances that distance is (L^3) ?

welovephysics said:
the box will move by L in time , t , am i right ?
It is moving at speed v, not L/t.

Likes welovephysics
haruspex said:
It is moving at speed v, not L/t.
so , what are you trying to say , i didnt get you

welovephysics said:
so , what are you trying to say , i didnt get you
If a car length L moves at speed v for time t, how far does it go?

Likes welovephysics
haruspex said:
car move by vt

haruspex said:
is it correct ??

welovephysics said:
car move by vt
Yes, so try answering my post #8 again.

Likes welovephysics
haruspex said:
distance moved = vt , volume of the leading face of the box sweep through as the box advances that distance is vt + L

welovephysics said:
distance moved = vt , volume of the leading face of the box sweep through as the box advances that distance is vt + L
How do you get vt+L? Maybe it would help you to think about a more solid analogy. You are digging a tunnel. The excavator is a cube LxLxL. If it advances a distance vt, how much soil does it have to excavate? Draw a picture.

Likes welovephysics
haruspex said:
How do you get vt+L? Maybe it would help you to think about a more solid analogy. You are digging a tunnel. The excavator is a cube LxLxL. If it advances a distance vt, how much soil does it have to excavate? Draw a picture.

Still vt + L

Attachments

• DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 454
haruspex said:
sorry , the volume of the leading face of the box sweep through as the box advances that distance is (L^3) , what are you trying to say ?

welovephysics said:
sorry , the volume of the leading face of the box sweep through as the box advances that distance is (L^3) , what are you trying to say ?
No.
Think about this... if it went for twice as long, 2t, still at speed v, would it still be the same volume?

Likes welovephysics
haruspex said:
No.
Think about this... if it went for twice as long, 2t, still at speed v, would it still be the same volume?
no

welovephysics said:
no
So it can't be L3, right?
If the leading face is LxL and advances distance vt, what shape does it 'carve out'? What are the dimensions of that shape?

haruspex said:
So it can't be L3, right?
If the leading face is LxL and advances distance vt, what shape does it 'carve out'? What are the dimensions of that shape?
what shape ? i am getting more confused now

welovephysics said:
what shape ? i am getting more confused now
Lay a light box, LxLxL, on soft snow. Press down on it, pushing it down a distance vt. Remove the box. What shape hole have you made in the snow? What is its volume?

haruspex said:
Lay a light box, LxLxL, on soft snow. Press down on it, pushing it down a distance vt. Remove the box. What shape hole have you made in the snow? What is its volume?
volume = (L)(L)( L +vt) , shape = rectangular , is it correct ?

welovephysics said:
volume = (L)(L)( L +vt) , shape = rectangular , is it correct ?
Nearly right. But we are only interested in the volume swept out by the leading face. That moves a distance vt, not L+vt.

haruspex said:
Nearly right. But we are only interested in the volume swept out by the leading face. That moves a distance vt, not L+vt.
so the volume = (L)(L)(vt) ?

welovephysics said:
so the volume = (L)(L)(vt) ?
Yes!

1. What is the formula for calculating resistance in a prototype boat?

The formula for calculating resistance in a prototype boat is R = F/V, where R is the resistance, F is the force acting on the boat, and V is the velocity of the boat.

2. How do I determine the force acting on the boat?

The force acting on the boat can be determined by considering all the external forces acting on the boat, such as the weight of the boat, the weight of any cargo, and the force of the water pushing against the boat. These forces can be calculated using basic physics principles.

3. What units should be used when plugging values into the resistance formula?

The units used in the resistance formula should be consistent. For example, if the force is measured in newtons, then the velocity should be measured in meters per second. It is important to pay attention to units when working with formulas to ensure accurate results.

4. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating resistance in a prototype boat?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the resistance in a prototype boat, such as the shape and size of the boat, the roughness of the surface of the boat, and the density of the water. These factors can be incorporated into the formula by using additional variables or coefficients.

5. How can I use the results of the resistance calculation to improve the design of my prototype boat?

The results of the resistance calculation can be used to determine which design elements are causing the most resistance and can be improved upon. For example, if the formula shows that the shape of the boat is creating a significant amount of resistance, the design can be modified to reduce this resistance and improve the boat's overall performance.