1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula of forces

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what is the 2.1 and 0.35 refers to in the equation of (9810)(2.1)(4.2)- 9810(0.35)(0.7) -Fx = 1000(5.88)(8.4-1.401) ??
    is it the width ? but , the width is not given ?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same pattern post: not understandable without the pictures. I have to keep open five windows to have a good look at this. It's late and I'm tired.

4. Feb 26, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Where the depth is 4.2m, the average depth is 2.1m, so the average pressure on the approach is 1000(9.81)(2.1)N/m2.
    Multiplying by the height gives the force per unit width on the approach. Similarly on the exit side.
    I do have one concern. The barrier is not 4.2m in height, so the calculated force on the approach side seems to much. To get a more accurate result we would need to find the height of the water surface above the highest point of the barrier.

5. Feb 26, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tell us what the expressions they use for the ##F_1## and ##F_2## stand for ....

6. Feb 26, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Edit: I misunderstood the calculation.
    Consider the whole of the system covered by the diagram.
    F1 is the force acting to the right on that system from the body of water to the left.
    Similarly, F2 is the force acting on it to the left from the body of water to the right.
    Fx is the horizontal force from the ground to keep the spillway in place.
    The sum of these external forces equals the rate of change of momentum.

7. Feb 26, 2016 #6
    ok , i can understand the red part of the equation (9810)(2.1)(4.2)- 9810(0.35)(0.7) -Fx = 1000(5.88)(8.4-1.401) , but 1000(5.88)(8.4-1.401) is force , am i right ? it's not force per unit width..... they are not having the same unit...how cvan they be equqal to each other?

8. Feb 26, 2016 #7
    do u mean since the width is unknown and constant through out the whole object , so we can take it out and leave the ans (Fx) is Force per unit width>

9. Feb 26, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, we do not know the width, so all forces are considered per unit width.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted