Formula of forces

• Thread starter foo9008
  • Start date
foo9008

Homework Statement

from the notes , the author stated that force has the formula of ρ(L^2)(v^2) and also = ρ(L^3)
i think there's something wrong with the ρ(L^3)
D58crH5.jpg

BDZcGcq.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMO , ρ(L^2)(v^2) can also be written as ρ(L^4)(T^2) , so Force is proportional to L^4 , am i right . ? IMO, the prototype force should be [ (100^4) ] x 0.12 N

correct me if i am wrong ...

Answers and Replies

tommyxu3
I'm not sure, but in your picture, one is ##\rho## and the other is ##\rho_r.## Maybe there is detailed definitions in the problem?

foo9008
I'm not sure, but in your picture, one is ##\rho## and the other is ##\rho_r.## Maybe there is detailed definitions in the problem?
rho r is actually r , it's the pi buckingham theorem

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
ρ(L^2)(v^2) can also be written as ρ(L^4)(T^2) , so Force is proportional to L^4
I guess you mean ρ(L^4)(T^-2), but either way it does not follow. The whole point of figuring out these dimensionless expressions is that you cannot change the scale of L and assume T fixed, etc. There are physical constants in the system, like viscosity, which impose a relationship between the fundamental dimensions. Changing L keeping T etc. fixed will therefore change the viscosity.
Similarly, density fixes a relationship between M and L.

foo9008
I guess you mean ρ(L^4)(T^-2), but either way it does not follow. The whole point of figuring out these dimensionless expressions is that you cannot change the scale of L and assume T fixed, etc. There are physical constants in the system, like viscosity, which impose a relationship between the fundamental dimensions. Changing L keeping T etc. fixed will therefore change the viscosity.
Then, what is the correct formula of force in this question?

foo9008
so , the author is correct ? it is (rho)(L^2)(L ) , where (v^2) = L ??

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
so , the author is correct ? it is (rho)(L^2)(L ) , where (v^2) = L ??
I'm hampered by not knowing what Fr stands for in the first line.
I presume F=ρL2V2 comes from some earlier work.
If we accept both of those equations, the rest follows.

foo9008
I'm hampered by not knowing what Fr stands for in the first line.
I presume F=ρL2V2 comes from some earlier work.
If we accept both of those equations, the rest follows.
So, the authors working is correct??

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
So, the authors working is correct??
I'm not sure. I don't know where the first line of equations comes from, or what Fr represents. I'm surprised to see any reference to g here. How is gravity relevant? If gravity were to increase but the densities, masses, and lengths stay the same, those equations seem to say the velocity would increase. Why?

Suggested for: Formula of forces

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views