Formula Of Inertia

1. Hey everyone! I love this site!

Im doing a project on Inertia and I need to know the Formula. Does anyone know what it is?

2. jcsd
  3. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to be a bit more specific than that!

4. The index of your textbook ... "Newton's first law"

5. F = Ma?

6. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

7. Is there really a formula for intertia? Isn't it just mass? The tendency for a mass to remain at constant velocity/rest. Mass and/or inertia is like a measure of resistance in a change of velocity. So the higher the mass the more force you need to accelerate it at a certain rate.

8. Yes.. Inertia is just the property which defines the resistance the moving or a stable object offers towards the external applied force. as the mass of the object increases its inertia increase.. its not quantifiable...

9. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,678
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to disagree there; the inertia for a specific body is definitely quantifiable. A particle's inertia is simply it's mass, whereas one can express the inertia of an extended body as an inertia matrix. Either way, one can definitely quantify the inertia of a specified mass distribution.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?