Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula Of Inertia

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone! I love this site!

Im doing a project on Inertia and I need to know the Formula. Does anyone know what it is?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to be a bit more specific than that!
  4. Apr 5, 2008 #3
    The index of your textbook ... "Newton's first law"
  5. Apr 6, 2008 #4
    F = Ma?
  6. Apr 6, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's Newton's 2nd law.

Newton's First Law
  7. Apr 6, 2008 #6
    Is there really a formula for intertia? Isn't it just mass? The tendency for a mass to remain at constant velocity/rest. Mass and/or inertia is like a measure of resistance in a change of velocity. So the higher the mass the more force you need to accelerate it at a certain rate.
  8. Apr 8, 2008 #7
    Yes.. Inertia is just the property which defines the resistance the moving or a stable object offers towards the external applied force. as the mass of the object increases its inertia increase.. its not quantifiable...
  9. Apr 8, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to disagree there; the inertia for a specific body is definitely quantifiable. A particle's inertia is simply it's mass, whereas one can express the inertia of an extended body as an inertia matrix. Either way, one can definitely quantify the inertia of a specified mass distribution.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?