Viscosity Formula: Why Not (mass x length)/(time x area)?

In summary, the conversation is about the alternative formula for viscosity and the disagreement over its units. The alternative formula is (mass x length)/(time x area) and the formula (mass x length)/time would result in units of mass/(length x time). However, one person disagrees with this and believes the correct units should be mass/(length x time).
werson tan

Homework Statement

why the alternative formula of viscosity not = (mass x length ) / ( time x area) ?

for force x time , we would get (mass x length ) / time ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 0070.PNG
    0070.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking about the units of viscosity, but, at least to me, your question does not make sense. What exactly are you asking?

Chestermiller said:
You are asking about the units of viscosity, but, at least to me, your question does not make sense. What exactly are you asking?
i don't agree with the formula mass/ (length x area)

werson tan said:
i don't agree with the formula mass/ (length x area)
i think it is wrong

werson tan said:
i think it is wrong
The units should be mass/(length x time)

Likes werson tan

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is determined by factors such as the fluid's thickness, temperature, and pressure.

2. Why is the formula for viscosity not (mass x length)/(time x area)?

The formula for viscosity, also known as the Newtonian formula, is (force x time)/(area x velocity). This is because viscosity is a measure of force per unit area over time, rather than mass or length.

3. Can the viscosity formula be used for all fluids?

No, the viscosity formula is only applicable to Newtonian fluids, which are fluids that have a constant viscosity regardless of the amount of force applied to them.

4. What units are used in the viscosity formula?

The units used in the viscosity formula are force (N), time (s), area (m^2), and velocity (m/s). However, the SI unit for viscosity is Pascal-seconds (Pa·s).

5. How is viscosity measured in real-world applications?

Viscosity can be measured using various instruments such as viscometers or rheometers. These instruments apply a known force to a fluid and measure the resulting velocity, allowing for the calculation of viscosity using the formula (force x time)/(area x velocity).