Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula SAE: Chromoly use

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    I am in search for journal articles/papers regarding the use of chromoly (41xx) or HSS tubes in racing car chassis (space-frame) for a literature review.

I wasn't able to find any papers up till now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would start with NHRA regulations, specifically sections 4:4, 4:10, and 4:11.

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf [Broken]

upload_2016-7-15_13-3-27.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Jul 15, 2016 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This also looks like a pretty good article: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1402-building-a-racecar-chassis-tech/. They have some interesting information in there about different materials including a new steel called DOCOL.

Keep in mind, stronger materials are typically used for weight savings because you can use thinner tubes; but in some cases they have other drawbacks (Chromoly for example requires special welding processes). Sounds like this DOCOL tubing is the best of both worlds in that respect.

upload_2016-7-15_13-7-47.png

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4
    What I meant by articles is published scientific material, I am able to find plenty of ordinary articles about chromoly, but I haven't been successful in finding academic, published, scientific papers. I require published material for my dissertation.

6. Jul 15, 2016 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did a quick search in Google Scholar and found a few relevant results, maybe take a look there? Honestly I don't think you've been searching "intelligently" enough, try focusing on journals focused on automotive or vehicle design.

Google Scholar Search: 4130 space frame chassis

7. Jul 15, 2016 #6
    Thanks for your help.

I have found similar articles/papers before I posted, but I am in search for papers with more in depth discussions about the actual material advantages/disadvantages, testing and comparison to other materials. These articles just barely skim on material details, usually chromoly is just mentioned followed by the reasons (stronger, cheaper and easier to be welded than other metallic alloys).

I need more specific papers to be able to produce a good literature review. I suppose papers treating aeronautical structures would also be valid to a certain extent.

I believe articles/papers about the use of low alloy steel or HSS for racing chassis would also be applicable.

8. Jul 15, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jul 16, 2016 #8
  10. Jul 16, 2016 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That could be as good as it gets . Why do you think that there is going to be any great body of scientific information about a relatively nondescript steel ?

11. Jul 16, 2016 #10
    I kind of lost hope of finding material in greater detail, I will have to see how to go about my literature review now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted