Is Chromoly the Ultimate Material for Racing Car Chassis?

In summary, I was unable to find any papers on the use of chromoly (41xx) or HSS tubes in racing car chassis (space-frame) for a literature review. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would start with NHRA regulations, specifically sections 4:4, 4:10, and 4:11.
raniero
I am in search for journal articles/papers regarding the use of chromoly (41xx) or HSS tubes in racing car chassis (space-frame) for a literature review.

I wasn't able to find any papers up till now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would start with NHRA regulations, specifically sections 4:4, 4:10, and 4:11.

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf

NHRA Regulations said:
All cage structures must be designed in an attempt to protect the driver from any angle, 360 degrees. All 4130 chromoly tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel tube welding must be approved MIG wire feed or TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited.

upload_2016-7-15_13-3-27.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This also looks like a pretty good article: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1402-building-a-racecar-chassis-tech/. They have some interesting information in there about different materials including a new steel called DOCOL.

Keep in mind, stronger materials are typically used for weight savings because you can use thinner tubes; but in some cases they have other drawbacks (Chromoly for example requires special welding processes). Sounds like this DOCOL tubing is the best of both worlds in that respect.

upload_2016-7-15_13-7-47.png

What I meant by articles is published scientific material, I am able to find plenty of ordinary articles about chromoly, but I haven't been successful in finding academic, published, scientific papers. I require published material for my dissertation.

I did a quick search in Google Scholar and found a few relevant results, maybe take a look there? Honestly I don't think you've been searching "intelligently" enough, try focusing on journals focused on automotive or vehicle design.

Google Scholar Search: 4130 space frame chassis

Mech_Engineer said:
I did a quick search in Google Scholar and found a few relevant results, maybe take a look there? Honestly I don't think you've been searching "intelligently" enough, try focusing on journals focused on automotive or vehicle design.

Google Scholar Search: 4130 space frame chassis

Thanks for your help.

I have found similar articles/papers before I posted, but I am in search for papers with more in depth discussions about the actual material advantages/disadvantages, testing and comparison to other materials. These articles just barely skim on material details, usually chromoly is just mentioned followed by the reasons (stronger, cheaper and easier to be welded than other metallic alloys).

I need more specific papers to be able to produce a good literature review. I suppose papers treating aeronautical structures would also be valid to a certain extent.

I believe articles/papers about the use of low alloy steel or HSS for racing chassis would also be applicable.

That could be as good as it gets . Why do you think that there is going to be any great body of scientific information about a relatively nondescript steel ?

Nidum said:
That could be as good as it gets . Why do you think that there is going to be any great library of scientific papers about a nondescript steel .

I kind of lost hope of finding material in greater detail, I will have to see how to go about my literature review now.

1. What is chromoly and why is it used in Formula SAE?

Chromoly, also known as chromoly steel, is a type of steel alloy that contains chromium and molybdenum. It is used in Formula SAE because it is a strong and lightweight material that can withstand high levels of stress and impact, making it ideal for racing cars.

2. How is chromoly used in Formula SAE?

Chromoly is primarily used in the construction of the car's chassis and roll cage. It is also used in other structural components such as suspension arms, drive shafts, and steering columns. In some cases, chromoly can also be used in engine components.

3. What are the benefits of using chromoly in Formula SAE?

The main benefit of using chromoly in Formula SAE is its high strength-to-weight ratio. This means that it is stronger and more durable than other types of steel, while still being relatively lightweight. Additionally, chromoly has good fatigue resistance and can withstand the high temperatures and stresses of racing.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using chromoly in Formula SAE?

One potential drawback of using chromoly is its higher cost compared to other materials. It also requires specialized welding techniques and equipment, which can add to the overall cost. Additionally, chromoly is not as corrosion-resistant as some other materials, so proper maintenance and protection are necessary.

5. How does the use of chromoly affect the overall performance of a Formula SAE car?

The use of chromoly can greatly improve the performance of a Formula SAE car. Its strength and lightweight properties allow for a stiffer and lighter chassis, which can improve handling and responsiveness. It also allows for more precise and efficient suspension tuning, resulting in better overall performance on the track.